Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[FIXED]2 problems after first reboot (handbook p1, chap10.d)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: [FIXED]2 problems after first reboot (handbook p1, chap10.d) Reply with quote

AFAICT, I went through the handbook, taking the genkernel route and everything seemed OK up until Part 1, chapter 10.d "Rebooting the System".

First problem:
"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)"
Tried a reboot, looked around in GRUB's settings (selected Gentoo, then 'e' for edit) for the Linux partition. Found a missing "initrd..." line. Added the line in GRUB's editor, and the kernel panic was temporarily fixed until next reboot. **Need a permanent solution to this.**

Second problem:
Got an e2fsck error complaining about a partition not being unmounted properly and some "no such file or directory" errors. (Sorry, but I don't have a full text of the error, I've only just rebooted to Win2k (at least it works.. :())

The only thing I can remember making a mistake on was in chapter 10.d, where I typed exit one too many times before "cd, unmount...". Is the whole installation ruined? Is there a way I can salvage it? If you can tell me what other information to get, I'll try another boot of Gentoo and note any arrors down verbatim.

Last edited by Armand Karlsen on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2 problems after first reboot (x86 handbook (p1, chap10. Reply with quote

Armand Karlsen wrote:
Found a missing "initrd..." line. Added the line in GRUB's editor, and the kernel panic was temporarily fixed until next reboot. **Need a permanent solution to this.**

If your system will boot all the way to a login prompt (and you can login), just edit your grub.conf
Code:
# mount /boot        <- may be needed if you have a separate partition for /boot
# nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf

Armand Karlsen wrote:
Is the whole installation ruined?

Probably not, but some more detailed error messages would be helpful.
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received advice to "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash" and continue from Part 1, chapter 8, starting from creating /etc/fstab in an IRC tech channel. Does that sound about right for fixing the installation. Does that sound about right? :?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armand Karlsen wrote:
Does that sound about right? :?

Yes

Just a tip :
You can always get back into your Gentoo installation using the CD, even if you had to stop in the middle an turn the computer off. Just boot the CD, mount your partitions the same way you did during the initial installation, and then do the chroot step, now you can continue where you left off (or fix mistakes, etc.).
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to p1, chap. 8 and mounted partitions thus:
Code:
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo/boot

(hda1 is NTFS/win2k, hda2 is 32MB boot part., hda3 is 512MB swap, hda4 is root part.)

IIRC, "mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot" gave "directory already exists", but "mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo/boot" and "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash" seemed to go OK.

Everything else went OK until I got to "emerge grub" in chap. 10.b, when I got the following error:
Code:
cat: /proc/mounts: no such file or directory
sys-boot/grub-0.9.6-r2 failed
Please mount /boot manually

"nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf" worked for some reason, and I was able to write and save the grub.conf file, allowing me to fix the missing "initrd" line in the Linux entry.

Then I tried "cp /proc/mounts /etc/mtab", but this failed.
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After further discussion in the aforementioned IRC channel, I found that I had missed a line for /proc in all the mount commands. I put this in and the rest of the process in part 1 of the handbook appeared to go smoothly. After issuing the first reboot command, GRUB booted Gentoo correctly, there were no kernel panics and no fsck errors. AFAICT, i can now log in to a functional (if bare*) Gentoo.

*bash, nano and not much else that I can see. :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: