View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: apm -s fails with kdm Reply with quote

This was working fine yesterday, so I don't know what I've changed to stop it working.

Anyway, I'm in KDE, I bring up a console and type
Code:
$ apm -s

The system suspends nicely and the fans stop. When I press a key, the fans start back up, but the display remains blank. The only way out is to pull out the mains power plug.

If I move to a virtual console first (ctrl-alt-F1), the difference is that on resume the console comes back up, but there is no prompt and the keyboard doesn't respond.

If I try it from the console without KDE/kdm running, resume works fine. If I start xdm and do apm -s from an xterm, everything is fine. So it appears to be something to do with kdm, or at least some KDE-specific process.

Any ideas?
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Nvidia Driver Reply with quote

If you have an nvidia card with the 3X series drivers, that would cause apm -s to fail in kde, try dropping out of X and in the console type apm -s.....if it works there then it is for sure an nvdiai thing, and you have two options. 1) to patch the nvidia drivers or to update to the 4X series
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The machine is an HP Pavilion with the Intel 810 chipset.

However, I'm looking into whether it could be related to the Low Latency or the Preemptible Kernel patches. It's hard to tell, but I think that maybe the freezing on restore might not happen quite every time. I thought on Sunday that the problem had gone away again, but now it is definitely back (and that was without changing anything).

Sadly, gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r1 won't complete make install_modules if I disable either the Low Latency or the Preemptible Kernel options in my kernel config, so I'm not getting very far. (I get the usual unresolved symbols errors, even after a make mrproper. Even unmerging and remerging the sources doesn't help me.)
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Vanialla sources Reply with quote

Sorry I guess my assumptions were wrong about the nvidia driver. Have you tried the vanilla-sources at all,?
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla-sources? Good idea. I think that will be my next move. (I'll also try to confirm the unresolved symbols problem with Gentoo-sources and report a bug if I have time.)

This morning, apm -s worked once, and then failed the second time (both from Konsole within KDE), so it does look like there is some 'randomness' there, which might well point to a problem with interrupts/preemptible kernel etc. It also suggests I would have to repeat my experiment using xdm/xterm a few times to know for certain if there is any difference between kdm and xdm - my (one) earlier success with xdm might have been a fluke.

Aagh! I hate rebooting...
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Vanilla sources makes no difference, so that presumably rules out trouble with the kernel patches.

Now what?
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: A long shot Reply with quote

This may be a really long shot and I am in no way an authority, but after a recent upgrade to portage itself I looked in the new /etc/make.conf file. And there were two statements in bold:
ATHLON-4 will generate invalid SSE instructions; use athlon insted
PENTIUM4 will generate invalid instructions use pentium3 instead
this is right before the cflags setting, do you think it is possible that something you may have compiled lately which one of the following setting could be causing your current troubles. I personally havn't got a clue as to why apm does not work for you....But I thought I would post this in a last ditch effort....
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the suggestion.

My processor is a Celeron (Coppermine), so I'm using PENTIUM3 in my compiler flags, as recommended. It could be a make.conf setting though, although quite how I would root out the relevant one I'm not sure. It could also be a problem with xfree 4.3.0, so perhaps downgrading to the latest unmasked version would help. When each test takes >24 hours to do though, it gets a bit frustrating stabbing around in the dark. It's clearly something that changed since my Gentoo 1.2 installation, but that really doesn't rule out very much...
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been battling with this for over a week now and made some small progress:

It's nothing to do with kernel config options. I've also tried using ACPI instead of APM, but my BIOS doesn't support enough of ACPI to make it useful.

What I have discovered is this:
  • If I stop apmd and xdm and issue apm -s from the console, it works everytime, no problem.
  • If I start kdm manually from the console, apm -s fails, regardless of whether apmd is running. (On one occasion I started kdm and apmd manually and got apm -s to work several times consecutively from a konsole window, but I haven't managed to repeat this.)
  • If I execute startx, or start xdm and log in, if I then bring up an xterm, apm -s works 100% reliably.
  • If I use kdm, but ask for an Xsession (with twm) rather than KDE, apm -s works 100% reliably. I can bring up konqueror, konsole, etc, suspend, resume, no problems - just a lousy window manager!
So it looks like it is not a problem with X or xfree, but something related to KDE, and specifically, perhaps the window manager -- the common thread is that apm -s always works when I'm not running KDE's own window manager.
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

Sorry I could not have been of more help....have you tried installing and other window managers....mayber something small (Well Everything is small compared to KDE) and see if the same problem persists?
juliancode
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i solved my gentoo-sources compile problem by removing the /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1 directory. might help.
MyZelF
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this will help you, but I have a similar problem (XFree 4.3.0 hangs on kdm logout) and I noticed that this occurs only if the kernel DRI module is loaded. Disabling DRI solves that for me.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, sorry I have not responded for several weeks. I've been trying to sort out some other Gentoo problems. Anyway, back to apm:
static_void wrote:
...have you tried installing and other window managers....mayber something small and see if the same problem persists?

Well, it works fine with twm, but that doesn't really help because I want to use KDE, not twm. Despite what they say, using a different window manager in KDE is not really a practical proposition if I want all of KDE to work.

juliancode wrote:
i solved my gentoo-sources compile problem by removing the /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1 directory. might help.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I've found nuking everything in /lib/modules prior to a kernel build sometimes solves problems that make mrproper doesn't fix.

MyZelF wrote:
I have a similar problem (XFree 4.3.0 hangs on kdm logout) and I noticed that this occurs only if the kernel DRI module is loaded. Disabling DRI solves that for me.

I was really excited about this. I finally got around to rebuilding my kernel, without Character Devices ---> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 DRI support), and hey presto, ... no banana. It was a good try though. Thanks.

So still not solved. Any more ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: