Wonderful GPL confusion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nadin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Wonderful GPL confusion Reply with quote

Hello

I was recently looking at the GPL, specifically http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem portion of it and I am confused as to exactly what it means to be arms length.

Here is what I am trying to build and perhaps someone can clairfy this for me. I am planing on building a JSP/Servlet application, which will use Tomcat at the very least, maybe even Jboss. For the backend I am planning on using Mysql.

Now the system I am planning on building is proprietary system, i.e. I am going to charge people who use it, hence I do not wish to disclose the source code to my JSP/Servlet project. I have no problem adding a link to either the source code or website off Tomcat/Jboss/Mysql.

For the above system I wish to build, are there any licensing issues I need to deal with?

Thanks for you help, this has been driving me nuts as I am just a developer, fresh out of school and now that there can be legal issues, I want to be sure I am not screwing with anyone

Nadin
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can release your java sources under whatever license you want (or not release it at all and sell the .class files).

It'll be harder to "hide" the source code in the JSPs though, but any good J2EE tool separates business logic from presentation anyway :) But even the JSPs can be released with whatever license you want.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: