newbie - grub-install problem/no stage1 file [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arjay1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: newbie - grub-install problem/no stage1 file [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Well - fell (falling?) at the final hurdle of a stage2 install. I've got as far as grub-install and have the following problem. (Have found a reference to it in the sticky at the top of this forum but doesn't seem to have a full solution.)

Following the Installation Guide I get to this stage:

Install Grub using grub-install

Code:
grub-install /dev/hda

When I run this I get:
Code:
end-request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector0
Then [i]file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly

A check in /boot/grub shows no stage1 file and the nearest thing is Stage2-pentium3-2005.1.tar.bz2 (downloaded earlier in the install)

I thought the I/O error might be floppy related as there is a line in the fstab for my floppy that reads /dev/fd0. However,

Code:
grub-install  --no-floppy /dev/hda
gives the same error.

I then tried a manual install but basically got the same problems. The I/O error did disappear with the --no-floppy option:

Code:
 grub> root (hd0,0)

works OK but
Code:
setup (hd0,0)

gives:
Code:
checking if /boot/grub/stage1 exists ... no

Can anyone help. Frustrated to be so close!

TIA

Last edited by arjay1 on Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

It seems that you've not emerge GRUB or that you didn't had /boot mounted when you emerged GRUB. Mount your /boot partition and emerge GRUB. Then check the contents of /boot/grub.
Code:
# mount /boot
# emerge -av grub
# ls -l /boot/grub

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
arjay1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto

Brilliant - you got it in one. I followed your suggestions and the grub files merged fine. I ran grub-install and that looked as if it was OK. It gave:
Code:
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/hdb #my second hard disk

However, when I rebooted it went stright to a grub prompt without loading anything that I could see. I can't get out of that prompt.

What should I do now?
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means that you're lacking the /boot/grub/grub.conf file or the symlink from /boot/grub/menu.lst to grub.conf.
Boot with the live-cd, mount the partitions, check the symlink and edit the grub.conf file if needed. Then reboot.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try reinstalling grub in the mbr
Code:
# grub
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)
> quit

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
arjay1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for sticking by me.

I will have to try these suggestions tomorrow as I have guests tonight and am cooking the dinner!!

I'll be sure to report back.

Thanks again

Richard
arjay1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a momentt to post a quick request in connection with this post. How do I search the hard disk for a file like grub.conf? I have emerged slocate but locate doesn't seem to do anything. Do i have to set slocate up in some way? Also - what is the correct syntax to search for files even if they are in another directory?

Sorry for such a basic question ... bit stuck with my gentoo computer down and the other one three floors and 100 yards away.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find /boot -name grub.conf
or find / -name grub.conf if you want to search the entire disk

arjay1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
That means that you're lacking the /boot/grub/grub.conf file or the symlink from /boot/grub/menu.lst to grub.conf.
Boot with the live-cd, mount the partitions, check the symlink and edit the grub.conf file if needed. Then reboot.

Sorry to be so dense but I have never had to use symlink before. How do i check and/or create the symlink you refer to ?

Thanks
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. You have to do the following
Code:
# mount /boot
# ls -l /boot/grub

Your menu.lst should appear as
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      9 Abr 24 23:14 menu.lst -> grub.conf

If it doesn't do the following
Code:
# cd /boot/grub
# rm menu.lst
# ln -s grub.conf menu.lst

If your symlink is ok, check if your grub.conf file is correct
Code:
# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

Since you had to reemerge grub, probably because /boot wasn't mounted, I wouldn't be surprised if you edited grub.conf on the / partition. If the previous file is not yours, do
Code:
# umount /boot
# mv /boot/grub/grub.conf /
# mount /boot
# mv /grub.conf /boot/grub
# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

This should be the file you created.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
arjay1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - surely I must now be on the last lap!!

I found the grub.conf file and it is as it should be. I have now got to the stage that boot is now doing something. It shows this error:

"Booting Gentoo Linux...
root (hd0,0)
Filesystem is .....

kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hda3

Cannot find the kernel ..."

I don't blame it because I can't find the kernel either!

I am getting really confused by the mount process.

I rebooted from the LiveCD, and arrived at the default prompt. I then did this:

Code:
mount /dev/hda1 /boot
mount /dev/hda3 /

Is that correct? Then I don't know how to access the files on either partition to search for the kernel directory. I know it is there somewhere because I saw it and its contents earlier in the install process. Do I chroot or something, and if so, what is the exact CLI to get at these partitions?

Boy, when I "graduated" from ubuntu to Debian I thought I had joined the grownups but I see now that Debian is just the teenage stage. Gentoo is for grownups all right! It has taken me 3 full days to get to here - my last 2 distros were up and running in under two hours plus download time!

Still, I am confident that with your help I'll at least get gentoo to boot!

EDIT: BTW I wanted to re-run grub-install but I just got the error message "No such command, no such file/directory etc." so I am obviously in the wrong place on the drive. I know it is there because I emerged it before and used it. Probably the same problem of being in root instead of boot or something.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arjay1 wrote:
Code:
mount /dev/hda1 /boot
mount /dev/hda3 /

Is that correct?
Nope. Try this:
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo && mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

Quote:
Then I don't know how to access the files on either partition to search for the kernel directory. I know it is there somewhere because I saw it and its contents earlier in the install process. Do I chroot or something, and if so, what is the exact CLI to get at these partitions?
After you mount the partition you can chroot, but it is not strictly necessary.
You can find the kernel files in /mnt/gentoo/boot if you don't chroot, and in /boot if you do chroot.

Quote:
EDIT: BTW I wanted to re-run grub-install but I just got the error message "No such command, no such file/directory etc." so I am obviously in the wrong place on the drive. I know it is there because I emerged it before and used it. Probably the same problem of being in root instead of boot or something.
If you want to rerun grub-install, it is best to chroot first. So after booting the livecd and mounting the partitions simply chroot again as described in the handbook:
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash.
After that you can run grub-install.

jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arjay1 wrote:
Boy, when I "graduated" from ubuntu to Debian I thought I had joined the grownups but I see now that Debian is just the teenage stage. Gentoo is for grownups all right! It has taken me 3 full days to get to here - my last 2 distros were up and running in under two hours plus download time!

Well, Gentoo does require some time and effort, but I wouldn't say it's like taking a degree. :wink: I also don't think that those using Debian would agree with that comment! :lol:
I agree that after installing and running Gentoo for over a year, I've learned much more on Linux than on the previous 8 years running Slackware, Red Hat and SuSE. Oh, and I had already achieved the LPI level 1 and 2 certification in November, 2003.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
arjay1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks to both of you. I reckon that this will see me at least into a proper boot. Have to be tomorrow as my wife is starting to mutter ...... Actually, she is pretty good and has made 2/3 of a move to linux. Just a few programs like photoshop she can't do without. (The gimp really isn't up to the level of photoshop although I think it is a great program).

I figured both of you for some serious expertise - not surprised to hear you have got formal qualifications as well jmbsvicetto - well done for that.

I hope that one day I might be in a position to help others - at the moment it is more take than give.

BTW - I suppose it is too much to hope that when I finally get logged it I just hit startx and away I go? No I thought not ....
:roll:
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should take a look at the Gentoo Desktop Resources, in particular to the X server Configuration HOWTO.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
arjay1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Hang on before wasting any more time on my request re eth0. Think I have found an answer in another post ..

EDIT: No go. The suggestion was to boot from the CD and emerge sys-app/net-tools. Did this but found it had been done before. Still need help please.

Bingo - I am now able to log in - no small thanks to you for all the help in getting me this far.

I had to disable the splashscreen statement in grub.conf - it just garbled my screen from the point it gets to offer the kernel choice to 2/3 of the way through the rest of the boot process. Anyway i still get a box of sorts offering me the kernel to choose so that is fine.

However, I have lost my internet connection. The boot sequence goes fine, bringing up lo etc. But when it gets to eth0 it reports:

Starting eth0
Bringing up eth0
Eth0 does not exist

I was using dhcp as a default and have tried setting a static address but that hasn't made any difference.

It looks like I am missing a module, or somehow never compiled it in the kernel (if you are supposed to).

Can you give me a couple of pointers?

BTW I had emerged dhcpd.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the output of lspci. Then look at your kernel config and enable the support for your nic. You should start by making it a module. Then load it with modprobe and check it with lsmod. Don't forget to restart your network service with
Code:
# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

If all works, you must add your module name to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
arjay1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the problem is that after booting with LiveCD, lspci shows the card as a generic Lite-On LNE100XT or some such card which doesan'r show up in any of the cards in the list in makeconf. I looked in lsmod but that didn't seem to give any clues.

Can't understand, if the CD boot can detect the card, why can' t there be a simple auto-detect and config for straightforward things like the nic? Gentoo seems to make it much more complicated than it needs to be?

Anyway I/m stuck again. I could just select all the cards but that surely negates the whole point of Gentoo!
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arjay1 wrote:
Yeah the problem is that after booting with LiveCD, lspci shows the card as a generic Lite-On LNE100XT or some such card which doesan'r show up in any of the cards in the list in makeconf. I looked in lsmod but that didn't seem to give any clues.

I think the module you want is called "tulip".

You can also look for it in the kernel messages. The name of the NIC module should be mentioned very close to where eth0 is mentioned.
Code:
# dmesg | less
arjay1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic

Thanks for chipping in. I have finally cracked it (I think). I redid the whole manual from after the basic install - mounted partitions to /mnt/gentoo blah blah blah.

I redid makeconf and chose everything that sounded remotely like tulip - which is the driver set for Lite-On LNE100tx cards.

I recomplied the kernel, then took every setting out of the /etc/conf.d/net file so that dhcp was the auto default.

Finished off with the rest of the manual instructions about exiting and umounting etc and rebooted.

It now brings up eth0 just fine. I haven't tried to connect to the internet yet but thought I would post this to save yourself and others from putting yet more time into it.

Many many thanks to one and all - I was just about to run back to debian with my tail between my legs - but you good folks kept helping me so I felt obliged to keep trying. WHAT A FORUM!!

Regards

Richard
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: