Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Should I re-install? Possible mega-bloat?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melkonianarg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Should I re-install? Possible mega-bloat? Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions:

Is it worth me reinstalling gentoo with x sever etc...and for GUI Gnome only, keeping my kernel manually configured, with least bloat as possible...and only use the gnomelibs and therefore keep to those apps...?

or should I keep with my current situation of have lots of modules that i do not need, maybe stuff in the kernel i do not need, and lots of unecessary apps installed?

OR should I just uninstall all the stuff i do not need from inside this install...?

ANOTHER important thing to note is that i have an hp pavilion dv1108ea and therfor want to put movix as the wuickplay feature...and therefor need to create a 204mb partition at the start of my hard drive...(can i do this without removing everything?)

thanks for any help given.

just one more thing: is it likely that my system is very bloated anyway? i use kde and i think i have alot of unused apps installed aswell? will these affect my performance?

melkonianarg
d4rkwingduck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u dont have to reinstall everything to remove unneeded modules in the kernel, just go into kernel setup and remove the modules u do not need and recompile the kernel, copy it to boot and use it, as for using gnome/kde, well its already bloated in my opinion, y not use a lightweight manager like xfce or fluxbox.. then choose only apps u need and install those ? ;)
St. Joe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Should I re-install? Possible mega-bloat? Reply with quote

melkonianarg wrote:
Is it worth me reinstalling gentoo with x sever etc...and for GUI Gnome only, keeping my kernel manually configured, with least bloat as possible...and only use the gnomelibs and therefore keep to those apps...?

I would just remove anything you don't really want. But I agree with what was mentioned in that Gnome is certainly not a 'light' desktop environment, so if you really are considering a reinstall just go with fluxbox or the like and you'll really have a lean system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: