View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
effe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Is VMWare what I need? Reply with quote

Hi.

I have a Win XP machine on my network that on which I run some applications such as winamp, icq and msn.
Thing is that I want to be able control these applications using my gentoo box.
To do this, if I understood this correctly, one could use VMWare to set up some kind of virtual machine and then remotely login on the Win XP box.
Is this correct?

If so, what things do I need to setup? Is it VMWare Workstations i need to set up on both the computers?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

//Effe
d4rk74m4
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, vmware is what you'd use if you wanted to install XP inside linux (for example). How are you
planning on logging into the XP box? If you're using Remote Desktop, there's a client available for
linux called rdesktop which will allow you to connect to the XP machine. VNC is another option.

As a side note, there's a rather good open-source alternative to vmware called qemu.
effe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast relpy..

I tried rdesktop. i guess that it works more or less like I want it to but i was not that satisfyed with colors etc. Everything was rendered very strangly. But perhaps thats only a configuration problem... i really didnt give much of a try.

rather than open the display as a subwindow i would like to have some keyboard shortcut to switch displays, is there such an option or should i "fake" this by simply open the window in fullscreen?

Have a nice weekend
denstark
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

effe wrote:
Thanks for the fast relpy..

I tried rdesktop. i guess that it works more or less like I want it to but i was not that satisfyed with colors etc. Everything was rendered very strangly. But perhaps thats only a configuration problem... i really didnt give much of a try.

rather than open the display as a subwindow i would like to have some keyboard shortcut to switch displays, is there such an option or should i "fake" this by simply open the window in fullscreen?

Have a nice weekend

Try emerging grdesktop, it will give you alot more options.
rokstar> sure they do, you tried their coffee?
vap0rtranz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but i was not that satisfyed with colors etc.

Color depth is controlled by the rdesktop's -a option. The default is 8dpp which is probably why you didn't like what you first saw.

Quote:
Everything was rendered very strangly.

Rendering depends on the server's graphic configuration. By default, rdesktop grabs the resolution of the Window's console (1024x786 or whatever), and the -g option can change this for you. Another thing: gui emulation can never replace sitting at the console, so don't expect crips edges and immediate response. VMWare, Citrix and other big virtualization/terminal services suffer the same issues as rdesktop.

Quote:
keyboard shortcut to switch displays

ummm... so you want to just press ALT-F1 and rdesktop pop-up and connect to your Windoz box?!

denstark wrote:
Quote:
Try emerging grdesktop, it will give you alot more options.

The clickable options are the same as the command line ones, and grdesktop depends on a bunch of Gnome bloat... :(
starky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
I have a Win XP machine on my network that on which I run some applications such as winamp, icq and msn.
Thing is that I want to be able control these applications using my gentoo box.

Why not use linux apps which are equivalent to the apps you have mentioned.

winamp = xmms
icq msn = gaim

Or if you want you can use wine, it can emulate window applications without windows o/s.
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clealy the OT has a Windows and Gentoo box and he obviously wants the Windows one to remain as it is, so installing XMMS wouldn't be an option. GAIM well I guess it works on windows...but why
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASIO_BOB wrote:
clealy the OT has a Windows and Gentoo box and he obviously wants the Windows one to remain as it is, so installing XMMS wouldn't be an option. GAIM well I guess it works on windows...but why

Sure, why using Linux when he could use such a great and flawlessly working OS like Windows? :D
neonknight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about vnc?
But I also recommend doing all current work on one machine. The music collection can be shared via smb/cifs (samba), ICQ/MSN-contacts are stored on the server anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: