View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Choppy computer (mouse, 2D and 3D) in X Reply with quote

I'll just quote Beast-Master in one of his previous posts, as he seems to experience exactly the same problem Im having:

Quote:

My real question is something like this:
In winBlows XP, when I move a window really quickly (I mean really really quickly), the window still moves very smoothly, no choppiness in the movement at all... nice smoot... infact, if you just drag around a window really quickly for the heck of it (yes, I know.. I don't have a life ), the movement is still very very smooth. In KDE.. when I do the same, the movement is not so smooth - its kinda choppy, kinda feels like the system is choking when I do it... ya know.. the feeling of the loss in framerate when the action gets really hot in a feature packed game.
The other thing that's choppy is when the mouse is in its animation mode... when you open Konqueror for example, the mouse goes into its neet, yet not so transparent, animation... when I move around the mouse then (rather quickly), the movement of the mouse is really choppy.

As you might imagine, this is *quite* annoying - and I dont think its hardware related since I use a rather powerful GeForce2 Pro with 64MB ram and nvidia drivers. Ive tried different nvidia drivers, but they dont seem to impact on this problem.
Sometime I can even count aprox 8 sec between each split-second "hang" of the X server. And moving a window around the desktop really fast for awhile really choke the X server and it spend a second or two refreshing (!) None of this happened when I used another linux distro, but I wont give up Gentoo just yet.

Any suggestions please? This is driving me crazy :-(
dyoung
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a very similar experience. I really notice the choppyness while compiling.

I tried for weeks to figure out the "problem". I thought it was my drive, motherboard, controller, video card, etc. Now I just think it's a weakness in Linux that I hadn't noticed until I starting using gentoo and compiling lots of stuff in the background.

If I emerge something (let's say tuxracer), then start dragging a window around the screen or scrolling up and down in a window eventually things will lock up, then unfreeze, then lock up again.. Try a similar test on Windows with the heaviest possible load on the system and you won't be able to cause the same problem.

People have suggested boosting the priority of X or lowering the priority of the compile but this really doesn't fix the problem. I have the low latency patch and preemptive patch as well.

For now I'm going to live with it and avoid dragging a lot while compiling. I figure eventually the linux scheduler will improve.

-- derek
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. The choppyness doesnt seem to be related to disk access at all. I can compile alot of things and still play mp3 w/o any coppy sound. In fact, the X choppyness happens aprox every 8 sec or something regardless of system load.

Ive tried recompiling w/o low-latency patch - no go. Im now recompiling w/o preemptive mode, so I'll see if this affects it.

Im gonna try with a vanilla kernel, and see if its any different. If I cant fix this, I really cant continue using Gentoo because this behaviour is so f%¤"% annoying.
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

None of this happened with Mandrake 7.2, 8.0, 8.1 or 8.2 or various testruns with RedHat.
And wether I use hdparm to tune my HDs doesnt seem to affect it at all.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get laggy window rendering is your cpu near 0% utilization? If not try renicing X to something like -18 and see if it improves.

having mtrr not enabled in the kernel may greatly decrease window rendering performance.
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, however:

The cpu utilization doesnt seem to impact this behaviour, as it occure wheter its idling or working with different tasks.

- How do I renicing X? I dont even know what that word means :-& (Im foreign)
- I'll look at MTRR in kernel, although I believe I did include MTRR support.

Disabling low-latency or preemptive didnt affect the problem at all btw. Im still having these annoying little hangs. Im gonna try another WM and see if the problem still exist.

Any more suggestions greatly appreciated!
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the sam problem too.. especially when im compiling.. Its very.. choppy.. The same when i copy big files. when I was transferring pk0.pk3 from the quake3 cd to the hd I hardly couldnt move the mouse in 5 seconds periods. Plz post the solution if some1 gets it.
Manny Calavera
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As described above, set your nice values!
Different processes have different priorities. You can change the priority of the X server by setting it's nice value.
Just try playing with different values :)

@nizZy: have you already checked whether kjournald was running excessively during those freeze periods?

see you,
- Manny -
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emerged GIMP. CC1 and CCP is in the top at around 2-25% load. Kjournal stays at 0.0 and CPU states are like: user 60-96% system 12-40% idle 0-5% :(

Ive got an amd t-bird 1.4ghz with 512mb RAM.. 512 mb SWAP.
Ive checked around the forums and almost everyone whos got performance problems ar running amd-based system. wtf could it be.. I reallt like gentoo but this is killing me..

Set my nice values? Should i run "nice emerge blablapacket" or what?
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're using the gentoo-sources, compile the kernel without preempt and/or low latency, and see if the problem remains.

at least for me these problems occured not before I activated these options in my kernel

regards,
tom
cmay4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

Same problem for me (Athlon XP 1600). I checked the kernel, and neither preemptible kernel or low latency options are being used. However, SMP support is checked...wierd. I'm going to try removing that.

Chuck
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know for the rest of you, but I seem to have solved my choppyness at least. I emerged fluxbox, and when using Fluxbox instead of KDE I dont experience this lag any more - even with preemptive and lowlatency patch applied.

So my guess is KDE somehow didnt like my compiler flags:

Code:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -mcpu=i686 -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -malign-functions=4"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -mcpu=i686 -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -malign-functions=4"

When I get around to it, I'll probably re-emerge KDE without such heavy tweaking and instead use the standard + fomit-frame-pointer.
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from dmesg:

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
CP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO moes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE VIA vt82c686b (rev 40) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci00:07.1

I checked www.via.com.tw and my chip vt82c686b has performance problems with linux.
They only provide kernelpatchers for suse, mandrake and redhat... Cant unpack the redhat path.. tried with gunzip.. im such a lamer =) Should I use this patch even if i have gentoo..
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive now recompiled and reemerged KDE without my customization to the /etc/make.conf FLAGS - and it didnt help :(

So Im back at square one - with this *really* annoying problem...
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - finally some progress.

After discovering KDE is the reason for this laggyness, I did:

rm -rf .kde*

and started KDE again - and the laggyness is officially gone. So somewhere between the clean standard KDE desktop and my highly customized one I introduced something which caused the lagging.

Im providing this info if anyone else have similar problems
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i have sorted out the worst "choppiness" now.. I compiled the kernel with support for my VIA chip and the message is like my previous post. Now it doesnt "locks" completely, but still, bad performance..
When i play q3 the processor load is at a steady 95-100% and fps at about 30-40 with "fastest" conf... Ive got an 1.4g T-bird so it shouldnt be like that, right? The choppiness in my case was that DMA wasnt enabled. Or it was enabled but my chipset vasnt supported in kernel. Now it is and DMA is enabled and there is no lockups but still piss performance. I really like gentoo though, I got to sort this out.

Ive got an pentiumIII computer with gentoo too in my wardrobe and that machine has got kinda same problem too. No really good performance.. What can I have done wrong? It worked better with slack.

I have installed both machines from stage1, heard somewhere that it was the best? =)

Can i have done something wrong there? plz HELP
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nizzy, what do you get with this? "hdparm -t /dev/hda"

You could post your /usr/src/linux/.config file here for people to pick at.

I'd suggest trying vanilla sources to see if it helps.
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I have 45,1 MB/s that should be fine? Before when my chipset wasnt supported in kernel it was really poor.
Yeah I was thinkin of try vanilla too.. I just emerge sys-kernel/vanilla-sources right? Or do I have to unmerge gentoo-sources first? (yeah im a n00b, I know =) )
cmay4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Still having the problems... Reply with quote

I switched to fluxbox, and I still get the problems. I checked the HD access and I am getting ATA100.

On a similar note, shouldn't I be able to listen to an MP3 in xmms while I am compiling? xmms skips HORRIBLY in that situation. Under WinXP, this isn't a problem.

I am starting to think that there is some problem concerning the VIA hardware. I too really love Gentoo, but I don't know how I can continue to use it if I can't solve this problem.
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanilla didnt make any difference...

cmay4 ==>> what IDE chipset and processor do u have? What are your make.conf settings and kernel processor settings?

just movin the mouse can somtimes load the processor to 20% and dragging the scrollbar in mozilla frequently up to 65%.. this is silly...

my make.conf: (just unmarked second example, nothing more)
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -03 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -03 -pipe"
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, now I have 45,1 MB/s that should be fine?
That was with -t right? (lower case), if so that's the highest single drive score I've ever seen. What hard drive are you using? (I'm getting 40.25)

Quote:
just movin the mouse can somtimes load the processor to 20% and dragging the scrollbar in mozilla frequently up to 65%

That's normal, same thing happens to me except everything continues to feel smooth.

Quote:
I switched to fluxbox, and I still get the problems. I checked the HD access and I am getting ATA100.
try this and see what you get to make sure things are working fine "hdparm -t /dev/hda"
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it was lowercase t... But now, when I switched to vanilla i just get 26.34... strange...

Malakin what system do u run? When yer compilin, how big cpuload do u got? Do u play quake3? What fps do u reach?

http://nizzy.hn.org/help/dmesg.txt
http://nizzy.hn.org/help/config.txt
http://nizzy.hn.org/help/make.txt
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched back to gentoo-sources.. Gives me;
buffer-cache reads: 194.87 MB/s
disk reads : 45.22 MB/s

At least my disk is fast ;)
But what sould I do with this giant CPU-load and low fps? This is driving me crazy..
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is my config totally fkd up? Plz tell me if I have done anything wrong..

Is there someone here with a VIA chipset and AMD processor that rocks with gentoo?
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some suggestions. Disable all the agp/drm stuff in your kernel and use nvidia's agp support (it will automatically use it when there's no agpgart). It's important to have MTRR support enabled.

Quote:
Malakin what system do u run? When yer compilin, how big cpuload do u got? Do u play quake3? What fps do u reach?

XP1800/kt333/512M, using 2.4.19-pre7 & preempt. Not sure about the cpu load but I can have several konsoles compiling stuff at the same time and my kde3 desktop remains perfectly responsive. My fps in Quake 3 are similar to what I get in Windows, possibly higher, the mouse is definitely smoother in Linux.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: