View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmay4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:45 am    Post subject: Nothing yet... Reply with quote

nizZy wrote:

cmay4 ==>> what IDE chipset and processor do u have? What are your make.conf settings and kernel processor settings?

my make.conf: (just unmarked second example, nothing more)
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -03 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -03 -pipe"

I am running an MSI KT7266 Pro2 board (KT266A) with a VIA chipset. My make.conf setting are the first example:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=i686 -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-mcpu=i686 -O3 -pipe"

Could that make a difference? What board are you running?

Malakin wrote:
Here's some suggestions. Disable all the agp/drm stuff in your kernel and use nvidia's agp support (it will automatically use it when there's no agpgart). It's important to have MTRR support enabled.

Has anyone else tried this? Isn't there a way to force the nvidia driver to use it's own agp support without removing the kernel support?

Chuck
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: No problem here Reply with quote

I have Gentoo and KDE3 running on an "OS testing" system which does not have any sort of latency or pausing problem. I thought I would post the hardware so that anyone that wishes can compare theirs to narrow down possible problems.

- Single Athlon XP 1400MHz
- Tyan TigerMP with AMD760MP (NOT VIA) chipset
- Adaptec 29160 SCSI card with a single 18GB Maxtor Atlas 10K3 hard drive
- 1GB RAM
- NO soundcard
- Matrox G400 video

Everything compiled with the following options:

CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS= "-s -pipe -O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -malign-functions=4 -fschedule-insns2"

USE="matrox nocardbus sse -oggvorbis -cups -arts gnome evo gtkhtml mozilla acl"

The kernel is compiled from Gentoo sources using both the low latency and preemptive patch and the system uses ReiserFS

Compiling four programs at once does not noticeably effect system performance other than loading programs is far slower.

I have not reniced X or used any of the KDE performance tips. KDE is using MOSFET's Liquid theme.

I'll put Gentoo on my VIA/Athlon system when I get time and see if I have similar problems.
cmay4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
Here's some suggestions. Disable all the agp/drm stuff in your kernel and use nvidia's agp support (it will automatically use it when there's no agpgart). It's important to have MTRR support enabled.

I tried to remove agpgart from the kernel and enable MTRR, but I get unresolved mtrr symbols when I try to emerge nvidia-kernel. Any ideas?

Chuck
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a duron800 oc'd @ 900 on a asus a7v133 mobo w/ 512mb sdram and - at the moment - an ATI All-in-wonder Rage128 w/16mb (i got a tnt2pro on the same system since last week)
Kernel is gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r5 (pre-emt, low-latency & even gr-security enabled), sys installed from stage1. Currently I run fluxbox, 3 mozilla windows, 2 Eterm, gkrellm and.... I'm encoding a dvd -> divx with mplayer' s mencoder with 23fps !!!!
Still no performance loss or sys lagginess. I get the same with kde but I prefer fluxbox for everyday use :-).
First of all since everyone is having problems w/ athlon consider putting
"mem=nopentium" on your kernel's booting options on grub. (see also
http://www.gentoo.org/news/20020123-amd-news.html )
And enable mtrr on your kernel's config. A cat /proc/cpuinfo should give all the features you cpu has (surprise : mtrr is there :-) )
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...forgot to tell that my system at work is a pentium4 1.8 w/ geforce2mx same config as my home pc (except bootstrap, system & kernel everything else installed there is from packages I already compiled here...) and works great also. (openoffice, gimp, xmms playing mp3's from smb server and dvd -> divx - all at the same time this afternoon ! - having fun working :-) )
cmay4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Hmm... Reply with quote

I got the NVIDIA agp driver working (with mtrr support in the kernel). Everything seemed fine and I went to work. When I got home, the machine had shut itself off. It wasn't locked up, but shutdown. I wonder if the power management is messed up. Since xscreensaver was running all day, that could be the culprit as well...still no closer.

I am now compiling the kernel without power management to see if it makes a difference.

Chuck
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Setting X's nice value Reply with quote

What conf or script would one edit to permanently change X's nice value when using KDM?
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone else tried this? Isn't there a way to force the nvidia driver to use it's own agp support without removing the kernel support?

I realize you already got it working and you removed that stuff from the kernel but I'll quote Nvidia's driver readme for anyone wondering. NOTE that people including myself _have_ been able to get nvagp working with agpgart still in their kernel but if Nvidia says not to then they probably have a reason.

Code:

Option "NvAGP" "integer"
                Configure AGP support. Integer argument can be one of:
                0 : disable agp
                1 : use NVIDIA's internal AGP support, if possible
                2 : use AGPGART, if possible
                3 : use any agp support (try AGPGART, then NVIDIA's AGP)
                Please note that NVIDIA's internal AGP support cannot
                work if AGPGART is either statically compiled into your
                kernel or is built as a module, but loaded into your
                kernel (some distributions load AGPGART into the kernel
                at boot up).  Default: 3 (the default was 1 until after
                1.0-1251).
rukhoven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i would like to add to this rather long topic the following:

In a bold mood I went and rebuilt the second machine here.

It was: k6 binaries from gcc 2.95 with gentoo-r5 kernel (preempt on). running on a DURON/VIA combo. The mouse was as smooth as a baby's bottom. Ps: Using mga driver from matrox. Under all loads no choppiness

It is now: GCC3.1 system with march=athlon. further only -m3dnow -mmmx -pipe -funroll-loops -O3 build from stage 1. Kernel gentoo-r7 (preemt on)

Result: The system is faster now, but it is (slightly to moderately) Choppy!!! especially when using konqueror as a webbrowser)

I'm lost here, and thinking of reverting to that gcc2.95 build. (I have the packages handy), but on the other hand, there must be a sollution !?!?

Is the -march-athlon? (i heard of some pentium guys having trouble too)
Is it the r7 kernel? No r5 had the same on a different system.
Is it Nvidia? No, the second system has MGA hardware.
Is it KDE+GCC3.1? This is the one I'm looking into. I assume that most people in this topic are using 2.95?

Well we will find out somewhere in the future
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: