Cannot dual boot into Gentoo after a 1/3 install. [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pratbrat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Cannot dual boot into Gentoo after a 1/3 install. [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi all.

Last night I did the 1/3 installation on a drive that already has a FC4 installation and cannot boot into my Gentoo install. I get grub error 15:

Quote:
Booting 'gentoo Linux'

root (hd0,4)
Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83
root (hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz-2.6.12-gentoo-r9 ro root=/dev/hdc5 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-16@60 splash=verbose,fadein,theme:emergence CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd (hd0,4)/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768

Error 15: File not found
Press any key to continue...

My partitions are:

Quote:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/hdc1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/hdc2 14 1288 10241437+ 83 Linux
/dev/hdc3 1289 1353 522112+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hdc4 1354 4865 28210140 5 Extended
/dev/hdc5 1354 2570 9775521 83 Linux

/dev/hdc5 has the Gentoo installation. My Gentoo 2.6.12-gentoo-r9 kernel image is in /boot on /dev/hdc5.

My /etc/grub.conf for FC4 looks like this:

Quote:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdc2
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hdc
default=2
timeout=30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.12-1.1398_FC4)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

# Boot Gentoo Linux at 1024x768 framebuffer resolution

title Gentoo (2.6.12-r9/2005.0)
root (hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz-2.6.12-gentoo-r9 ro root=/dev/hdc5 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-16@60 splash=verbose,fadein,theme:emergence CONSOLE=/dev/tty1

I edited my /etc/grub.conf for FC4 and added everything under #Boot Gentoo Linux at 1024x768 framebuffer resolution.

When installing gentoo, I emerged grub, but did not run it, and therefore did not specify grub>root and/or grub>setup. I was under the assumption I could boot into gentoo by making appropriate changes in the FC4 /etc/grub.conf without actually having to run grub in Gentoo, since it would overwrite FC4's MBR.

Do I have to do anything to the /etc/fstab file on FC4 so that it mounts /dev/hdc5 on boot?

Still pretty new to Linux. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day all.

Last edited by pratbrat on Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
SinoTech
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your boot partition for your gentoo installation is on hdc rather than on hda. Therefore your grub entry is wrong since its point to your hda ( root (hd0,4) ). If your boot partition is "hdc1" (Isn't it ? ), your grub.conf entry should look like that:
Code:

root (hd2,0)
kernel (hd2,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.12-gentoo-r9 ro root=/dev/hdc5 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-16@60 splash=verbose,fadein,theme:emergence CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd (hd2,0)/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768

Mfg

Sino
pratbrat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SinoTech.

I am under the assumption that grub only considers HDD's on the IDE cable, and since I have just two IDE devices, a DVD-ROM on /dev/hdb and one Seagate on /dev/hdc, root (hd0,4)should be right, since there is only the Seagate HDD, and it will be considered as 0? It would be root (hd2,0) if Seagate was my third HDD and I was booting from the first partition on that third HDD? Am I right?

My boot partition is /dev/hdc1, but it does not contain any kernel image for the Gentoo installation. It is used to boot the FC4 installation. The kernel image for Gentoo is on the /dev/hdc5 partition, under /boot/ of course.

If you are right, then my root should be root (hd2,4). I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the really quick response.
SinoTech
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, think you're right. Grub just recognize harddrives. Anyway, the error message grub spokes out is
Code:

Which means that either the specified partition or the specified kernels name is wrong. If you're sure the partition is right (I think so) you should check the kernels name for correctness.

Mfg

Sino
pratbrat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SinoTech.

Tried vmlinuz, vmlinuz-<kernel version>; also manually copied the Gentoo kernel image to /boot on /dev/hdc5. Nothing has worked so far. Made sure had a copy of System.map and .config. Do I add the <makeactive> flag for /dev/hdc5 partition on FC4 /etc/grub.conf? Actually I am going to try that.

Not very clear about the boot sequence. I'm going to google on that and see what I can come up with. Cheers.
SinoTech
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, perhaps you should first try to boot your system without any additional stuff (Framebuffer etc.). So try that one:
Code:

root (hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz-2.6.12-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hdc5

Also, grub identifies your boot device as a reiserfs filesystem.
Code:

root (hd0,4)
root (hd0,4)

Is that right ? Just wonder since there's no need to use reiserfs on the boot partition.

Mfg

Sino
pratbrat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it without the framebuffer settings and same error message.

/dev/hdc1 and /dev/hdc2 are both ext3. /dev/hdc1 is my FC4 boot partition, and /dev/hdc2 holds my FC4 installation.

/dev/hdc5 is reiserfs and is my Gentoo partition, and it also has the Gentoo /boot directory, which of course holds the Gentoo kernel image.

Is there any way to create a link for the Gentoo kernel image (which in on /dev/hdc5) and place it on /dev/hdc1 (holding my FC4 kernel image)?
SinoTech
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pratbrat wrote:
Tried it without the framebuffer settings and same error message.

/dev/hdc1 and /dev/hdc2 are both ext3. /dev/hdc1 is my FC4 boot partition, and /dev/hdc2 holds my FC4 installation.

/dev/hdc5 is reiserfs and is my Gentoo partition, and it also has the Gentoo /boot directory, which of course holds the Gentoo kernel image.

Is there any way to create a link for the Gentoo kernel image (which in on /dev/hdc5) and place it on /dev/hdc1 (holding my FC4 kernel image)?

Well, if you didn't have a additional boot partition, then your grub entry is wrong. You've got that:
Code:

kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz-2.6.12-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hdc5

Which means that the kernel image is on the root folder of gentoo partition ("/vmlinuz-2.6.12-gentoo-r9"). But in real, it's not on the root directory but in the boot directory. Therefore, the line should look like this:
Code:

kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hdc5

Since the path to your splash image is wrong too, you should keep it out until you got your system up and running. After that change the path to your splash image same as you've changed it for your kernel image.

Mfg

Sino
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot dual boot into Gentoo after a 1/3 install. Reply with quote

pratbrat wrote:
Last night I did the 1/3 installation on a drive that already has a FC4 installation and cannot boot into my Gentoo install. I get grub error 15:

Quote:
Booting 'gentoo Linux'

root (hd0,4)
root (hd0,4)

GRUB is unable to find your initrd.
pratbrat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SinoTech.

Tried your suggestion. Got a grub error message 13: invalid or unsupported executable format.

AFAIK, my format is correct. Someone suggested initrd, but didn't post any steps I could take to solve the issue.

Cheers.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot dual boot into Gentoo after a 1/3 install. Reply with quote

Hi.

cyrillic wrote:
pratbrat wrote:

Quote:
Booting 'gentoo Linux'

root (hd0,4)
root (hd0,4)

GRUB is unable to find your initrd.

Which by the way is probably called initramfs* since you're using kernel-2.6.12.

EDIT: Oh wait, you're not using genkernel. So you probably are missing the /boot/initrd* as SinoTech suggested.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
SinoTech
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you haven't used genkernel, you don't need to have an initrd (Only if you want to have bootsplash running). So like I said before, just use the basic stuff until your system is up and running probably. Therefore your grub entry should look like that (For the moment):
Code:

root (hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hdc5

If it looks like that and it still don't work (You've said you got error 13), made sure you've copied the right kernel image to /boot. To do so perform the following steps:
(Got a friend who boots with knoppix and then tries to build its kernel WITHOUT chrooting to its system before. Needless to say that the kernel he's tried to build was the knoppix one and therefore nothing was changed on his real system. So I just want to make sure you take the right kernel,and copy it to the right place).

1. Boot using a LiveCD
2. mount your root partition (e.g. to "/mnt/gentoo")
3. chroot into your system
Code:

$ chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

4. Rebuild your kernel (Just for case you've done the same fault as my friend)
Code:

$ cd /usr/src/linux
$ make && make install modules modules_install

Using te "install" target will copy the kernel image to "/boot" and generate a symlink called "vmlinuz" which always points to the latest build kernel. If using it we don't have to fit the "grub.conf" if using another kernel version (Just specify "vmlinuz" as your kernel image in the "grub.conf").
5. If you haven't used the "install" target in the last step, copy your kernel image manualy to "/boot"
Code:

$ cp /usr/src/linux/arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/Your-Kernel-Name

6. Reboot and test if it works.

If it still doesn't work post again.

Mfg

Sino
pratbrat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SinoTech.

Followed your advice for recompiling the kernel and editing the /etc/grub.conf file, and it worked like a charm. I can now boot into my Gentoo installation.

I tried putting the initrd setting back into grub.conf and Gentoo would not boot. I will troubleshoot that next.

Thanks for all your help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: