View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varnyu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Strange VMware (X?) problem Reply with quote

I just emerged VMware and got the following problem during startup and vmware doesn't starts:

XIO: fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0"
after 2833 requests (2832 known processed) with 99 events remaining.

(vmware-config.pl run successfully except some variable redefinition warnings)

VMware Workstation 3.2.0 build-2230,
gcc 3.2.2,
xfree: 4.2.99.4,
kernel: 2.4.20-xfs_pre6

Anyone has idea what should I do with this?
Thames
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange VMware (X?) problem Reply with quote

Quote:
I just emerged VMware and got the following problem during startup and vmware doesn't starts:

XIO: fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0"
after 2833 requests (2832 known processed) with 99 events remaining.

I second this... I have the exact same problem, although the number of events and requests is different.
Quote:
VMware Workstation 3.2.0 build-2230,
gcc 3.2.2,
xfree: 4.2.99.4,
kernel: 2.4.20-xfs_pre6

My system is:
gcc: 3.2.2-r1
xfree-4.2.99.902
Vanilla source: 2.4.20
glibc: 2.3.2-pre1

After a long search on google, the best answer I could find, was that is has somethings to do with threading (pthreads)...

Thames
StuBear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a glibc issue, I guess you have recently upgraded to the latest glibc? I can't remember the version number cause I'm on windoze at work :cry: .

I found a fix on vmware.linux.experimental

vmware.linux.experimental on Google Groups

I followed these instructions and it solved the problem, will file a bug with the fix on bugzilla when I get home
narensankar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fix on vmware-experimental does not work for me as non root. I am on gentoo latest and greated with unstable I strictly followed the instructions
and I can run vmware as root. But not as a user. It seems that the LD_PRELOAD works, as I can see the reloc messages, but then I get permission denied messages for vmmon. It seems that using LD_PRELOAD kills the suid bit that is propagated from vmware to vmware-mks and vmware-ui. I can chmod a+rw /dev/misc/vmmon and then the ui starts, but it dies complaining about permissions on /dev/tty0 and /dev/tty7 (my x is running on tty7). So in order to get it to work, I had to chmod a+rw /dev/vc/0 and /dev/vc/7. For full screen I had to chmod a+rw /dev/vc/8.

Then vmware works fine. So I don't know if changing all these permissions is the right thing to do, but at least it got vmware running.

I don't know if this suid behavior is gentoo specific or in general.
Hope this helps.
StuBear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

narensankar wrote:
It seems that the LD_PRELOAD works, as I can see the reloc messages, but then I get permission denied messages for vmmon. It seems that using LD_PRELOAD kills the suid bit that is propagated from vmware to vmware-mks and vmware-ui. I can chmod a+rw /dev/misc/vmmon and then the ui starts, but it dies complaining about permissions on /dev/tty0 and /dev/tty7 (my x is running on tty7). So in order to get it to work, I had to chmod a+rw /dev/vc/0 and /dev/vc/7. For full screen I had to chmod a+rw /dev/vc/8.

Got exactly the same problem as user, root runs fine. At least one other person on the thread on vmware.linux.expreimental had the same trouble. I think it is to do with where Gentoo puts the vmware libs.

I'm going to go through the ldd man page and see if there is a work around to stop it dropping suid.
mallchin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the bug posting relating to this and indeed it is glibc but has anyone solved this without changing permissions on devices?

It'd be nice to keep suid intact...

Until then it's no vmware for me :cry:
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i did like told here, and as root i can indeed get everything to work fine (if i do xhost + localhost), and as a user vmware starts, but no fullscreen (i did do chmod a+rw /dev/vc/8)

this is the error:
Code:
Unable to turn on Direct Graphics.
Failed to switch to fullscreen SVGA mode.

This used to work with DGA.

Bernard
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: