View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunderbeugen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: I give up Reply with quote

After 8 months of trying to install Gen-who , I give up.

I have tried a few distros and Red Hat always comes out on top.

Gentoo is certainly for gurus and not the novice or amature users. It was how ever a learning experience . If only Gentoo were as easy to install as Red Hat maybe I wouldn't be writing this .

I doubt the alleged speed enhancment that Gentoo offers is any different than a properly configured Red Hat installation .

So if the portage is the only real thing that Gentoo has to offer then why a whole distro ?

Why not just use portage on other distros ?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd asked for help a while ago, we might have been able to get you going. Good luck with Red Hat.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Gentoo Chat.

My experience is that a well tuned box with Red Hat won't be so fast as my Gentoo installation. Anyway, the best thing with Gentoo is not performance, but the people here in the forums IMHO.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy of install and bleeding edge software...those are the reasons I use gentoo (and not redhat)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: I give up Reply with quote

dunderbeugen wrote:
After 8 months of trying to install Gen-who , I give up.

I have tried a few distros and Red Hat always comes out on top.

Gentoo is certainly for gurus and not the novice or amature users. It was how ever a learning experience . If only Gentoo were as easy to install as Red Hat maybe I wouldn't be writing this .

I doubt the alleged speed enhancment that Gentoo offers is any different than a properly configured Red Hat installation .

So if the portage is the only real thing that Gentoo has to offer then why a whole distro ?

Why not just use portage on other distros ?

While Gentoo is not a real newbie Linux distro, it is not that hard to install for someone with a little bit more experience than the average user.

I wish you had posted questions with your problems and we would have helped you all the way.

Oh btw, I have a RedHat box sitting on my desk, running Advanced Server 2.1 and right now I can't even access the box since there is a bug in a program which causes constant swapping. I'm gonna let it run until it fails so I can diag the box. RedHat is good, but in the long run you will have a box with more installation problems than what you would have seen under Gentoo.

The biggest issue is installation, and if you don't have the knowledge to fix it yourself, ask the Gentoo community. There are so many smart people in this community, almost any issue you throw at them gets solved, and I'm sure we would have had you gentoo box up and running in no time.

Wanna give it another try?

Erik
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, somebody went back to Redhat over Gentoo. Redhat, for god's sakes!

I'm 11, didn't know how to use Linux before a few weeks ago (Which at that point I had installed Redhat). I uninstalled Redhat, and then installed Gentoo (twice, actually. The first time Cinelerra didn't work and Fluxbox was on my nerves, and the second which is this time is running fine) and I got through it. If you're too dumb to "mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot" or "./scripts/bootstrap.sh" then you obviously shouldn't be running Gentoo, or any other form of Linux.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicholasDWolfwood wrote:
If you're too dumb to "mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot" or "./scripts/bootstrap.sh" then you obviously shouldn't be running Gentoo, or any other form of Linux.

Please avoid using this tone in your posts, it's not polite. Try to add constructive comments, instead, like ebrostig just did.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to remember that this kind of behaviour is discussed in the forum guidelines, and it is not welcome.

NicholasDWolfwood wrote:
Haha, somebody went back to Redhat over Gentoo. Redhat, for god's sakes!

I'm 11, didn't know how to use Linux before a few weeks ago (Which at that point I had installed Redhat). I uninstalled Redhat, and then installed Gentoo (twice, actually. The first time Cinelerra didn't work and Fluxbox was on my nerves, and the second which is this time is running fine) and I got through it. If you're too dumb to "mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot" or "./scripts/bootstrap.sh" then you obviously shouldn't be running Gentoo, or any other form of Linux.

S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.. he is 11 after all .. :D

my roommate kept trying to install Gentoo. With a little help from me and some dedication he finally did it. Only to go back to windows the next day. Linux or Gentoo is not for everyone. You can and should use whatever you feel works the best for you.

Having said that, some operating systems are better in some aspects than others. Gentoo has all the latest software, the the USE variables, and of course portage (you could argue that USE is part of Portage)

RedHat is easier to install. It has a varied reputation among many people. RH has all the rpm files by using apt-rpm you can achieve funtinality similar if not to Portage then to the Debian apt-get.

Anyway, dont discard Gentoo completely. I would recommed to try it after you have spent some time using RH.
absence of grace."
- William Gibson, "All Tomorrow's Parties"
----
http://petro.tanreisoftware.com
dunderbeugen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responce. Don't worry about little nicky I've had more venomous text spit at me by better. You all have convinced me to keep trying. However, I still question building a distro around an app. This was the case with Bastille linux. Bastille started out as a secure distro but the task was too much. Instead they made the software to harden an existing distro. The main sell with Gentoo appears not to be the speed enhancement but the portage system. Wouldn't it be better to just attach the app to an already functional distro? I think I saw something on how to do that in one of the posts.
Just an opinion.
Maybe my problem is hardware related.
Dell Precision Workstation 530:
1st processor Intel Xeon 2.20 Ghz , 512 cache
2nd processor Intel Xeon 2.20Ghz , 512 cache
memory 1GB PC800 ECC RDRAM (2RIMMS)
hard drive 73GB Ultra 160/M SCSI, 1 inch (10,000rpm) for PERC 3
graphics card Quadro2Pro,64MB,VGA/DVI
I followed every thing to the letter... or so I thaught.
The installation bombs mid install or at the end during the grub config.
I'll have to wait till Saturday before I have another go.
Thanx.
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run into some kind of trouble during your installation, and need quick answears, use irssi (an irc client which comes on the LiveCD) and log into #gentoo@irc.freenode.net and I'm sure you'll have your problems solved ASAP.

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunderbeugen wrote:
I still question building a distro around an app. [...] The main sell with Gentoo appears not to be the speed enhancement but the portage system. Wouldn't it be better to just attach the app to an already functional distro?
Portage isn't really "an app". It's a system for translating high-level policy decisions made by the person designing the installation (you) into low-level instructions about what software needs to be installed and how it needs to be configured and built. There is no functioning distro that you could bolt Portage onto, because Gentoo isn't really a distro per se. Some call it a "meta-distribution".
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Some call it a "meta-distribution".

Including Mr. Daniel Robbins himself:
Quote:
Portage allows you to set up Gentoo Linux the way you like it -- with the optimization settings that you want, and with optional build-time functionality (like GNOME, KDE, mysql, ALSA, LDAP support, etc.) enabled or disabled as you desire. If you don't want GNOME on your system, your apps won't have optional GNOME support enabled, and if you do, then they will. That's why we prefer thinking of Gentoo Linux as a meta-distribution or Linux technology engine. You decide what kind of system you want, and Portage will create it for you.
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to gentooify existing distros:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=28559

You could have the existing rh distro, but have portage install all the programs and manage all the dependancies.

One problem would be the strange places rh puts files (two copies of the same file), and the init system

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you let portage manage your whole system... Then what is left of Red Hat?
mxskweeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
dunderbeugen wrote:
I still question building a distro around an app. [...] The main sell with Gentoo appears not to be the speed enhancement but the portage system. Wouldn't it be better to just attach the app to an already functional distro?
Portage isn't really "an app". It's a system for translating high-level policy decisions made by the person designing the installation (you) into low-level instructions about what software needs to be installed and how it needs to be configured and built. There is no functioning distro that you could bolt Portage onto, because Gentoo isn't really a distro per se. Some call it a "meta-distribution".

And that is what translates to a faster distro for me. Here's why: I'm hardware challanged (my fastest box is a PII366 - long story). In three years of off and on RedHat usage, I never quite felt like I understood what was really going on under the hood. Consequently, I always had what I felt like was a bloated install, but could not seem to prune it and still retain all the functionality I wanted. Either because gentoo makes it easier to get under the hood or because it forces you to, in a couple of weeks of using it I felt like I understood Linux more than I had in the previous years of using RedHat. I was able to leverage portage to get exactly what I wanted on my boxen - nothing more, nothing less. That is (to me, at least) how just the presence of portage alone translates to a better overall system.

BTW, welcome back :)
grafty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunderbeugen wrote:
I still question building a distro around an app. This was the case with Bastille linux.

Gentoo Linux is NOT "a distro around an app." The whole distribution is built around the idea that your system is compiling packages per your specification. If you tried to start with red hat (or any other distro), then you're hard drive is already infected with pre-packaged, pre-compiled, binary packages. Gentoo Linux is compiled from the get-go.

Of course it's possible to start with another distro and let portage do the rest, but the more non-portage you start with, the less gentoo you have.

And besides, there are other things about Gentoo that are unique -- the init system (based on dependencies) is superior to the standard "00Sscript starts before 01Sscript, 01Sscript starts before 02Sscript, etc."
scrllock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, couldnt you do a VERY minimal rh install and then add portage? (need to get around to trying this)
grafty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrllock wrote:
well, couldnt you do a VERY minimal rh install and then add portage? (need to get around to trying this)

Well yeah, like I said, of course it's possible, but even with a minimal install of red hat, you're still going to have files that RPM is in charge of handling, and trying to get RPM and Portage to compete just doesn't sound appealing to me.

If you could get portage to rebuild ALL of the packages that Red Hat installed (assuming that Red Hat and standard-tar-balls use the same directory structure, which might be doubtful), then you could conceivably get Portage to overwrite all of Red Hat's files, at which point you'd pretty much have a Gentoo Linux system (assuming you fixed the whole init disparity, and any other disparities between Red Hat and Portage's tarballs, etc. etc.).

It just gets too much of a hassle to want to consider (in my opinion).

Why not just use Gentoo?
dunderbeugen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ... I am really getting annoyed! I had to dance around the instructions to get anything to write to the disk. I have scsi perc3 but gentoo did not like /dev/sda. It may be due to the PERC3 config. As a result , I had to use the fully quallified name and the drive kicked in. I continued with the install again altering things to force feed gentoo to my system and when I get done and reboot grub spits out ... Kernel must be loaded first. Like an idiot I did not make a boot disk and rembered that it was needed if raid was used. when I originally bought the system I set it up for raid but raid was too expensive even for me so I canned the idea but the config must still be resident. I am re-installing again and things are going from bad to worse. 50% if the time the install bombs and the other 50% grub fails. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. I can have Red Hat installed , tweaked and hardened 9 ways to Sunday before I burp up my breakfast. But this! ... 8 months!... and counting!
puregenius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: redhat is redhat Reply with quote

This may be a slightly circular and obvious point but the red-hat system is based around rpms. That is: Redhat-Packet-Management-System files.
The distro's original feature is the rpm system.
Gentoo's is portage.

Why bother trying to merge them?

Linux is about individuality and getting what you want. Don't feel obliged to use any system. Use what you want. Just make sure you try the other options too. You tryed gentoo, well done. Thats better than a lot of people. Going back to red-hat is your prerogative.

Gentoo is not noob distro. I don't think its impossible, but that is heavily dependent on your situation. If you have a setup that works with the install guide, then great. Otherwise you might have problems. If you can get over them, well done. Don't get upset if you can't.

I would agree that the forums are one of the best aspects of the gentoo distro. They are actually helpful. It shouldn't, but that surprised me at first, now i love it. So, ask a question in the relevant place and see if you can get an install going.

Noone said gentoo was going to be quick, especially from stages 1 or 2, but you do it for the result. And as with most things unix its a learning experience.

So go away, ask some questions, and do some learning. :lol:
And get that gentoo feeling of love and warmth. :wink:

alex

Me just me, but i might be like you too...
dunderbeugen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother trying to merge them?

I agree. I tried and it and blew my Red Hat to hell . So ... as long as my distro was blown to hell I figured I would try again as I have for 8 long annoying months. I still think the instructions need to be tweeked for my system.

example : my system likes /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 over /dev/sda1

my system has the following:

Dell Precision Workstation 530:
1st processor Intel Xeon 2.20 Ghz , 512 cache
2nd processor Intel Xeon 2.20Ghz , 512 cache
memory 1GB PC800 ECC RDRAM (2RIMMS)
hard drive 73GB Ultra 160/M SCSI, 1 inch (10,000rpm) for PERC 3
graphics card Quadro2Pro,64MB,VGA/DVI

It was a custom job that should have run me a hell of a lot more than the mere $7,000 I paid for it (thanx to my brother and his work discount)

I still think this is a hardware issue. Maybe every one else is having it easy because they have standard systems. The above mentioned is only a taste of what's in this thing... the items I think are causing me grief.

...Any way I will keep at it but I am really getting ticked to put it mildly.
dholowiski
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dunderbeugen. I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know, but this was the nice thing I found with the Gentoo install: If you get most of the way through the install, but grub bombs, or you messed up compiling or configuring your kernel, or you missed some vary important step in the install... just boot up with your install CD, mount your drives and "enter the chroot environment" (both described in the documentation). At that point it's like your in the install again. You can re-compile your kernel, edit your grub configuration file (or reinstall it), make a bood disk, whatever.

I used this when I compiled my kernel with the wrong options & my computer just rebooted at the grub prompt. I used it when I was trying to get my networking set up. The install disk makes a great general purpose boot disk, which I plan on keeping handy.

Sorry I can't help you on your specific problem, i'm much too much of a noob for that, but the above at least might save you from having to start over every time it doesn't work.
jief
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darktux wrote:
If you run into some kind of trouble during your installation, and need quick answears, use irssi (an irc client which comes on the LiveCD) and log into #gentoo@irc.freenode.net and I'm sure you'll have your problems solved ASAP.

there is also #gentoo on Undernet. We always give a lot of help to people ;)
mlynx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: GRUB vs LILO Reply with quote

dunderbeugen wrote:
Ok ... I am really getting annoyed! I had to dance around the instructions to get anything to write to the disk. I have scsi perc3 but gentoo did not like /dev/sda. It may be due to the PERC3 config. As a result , I had to use the fully quallified name and the drive kicked in. I continued with the install again altering things to force feed gentoo to my system and when I get done and reboot grub spits out ... Kernel must be loaded first. Like an idiot I did not make a boot disk and rembered that it was needed if raid was used. when I originally bought the system I set it up for raid but raid was too expensive even for me so I canned the idea but the config must still be resident. I am re-installing again and things are going from bad to worse. 50% if the time the install bombs and the other 50% grub fails. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. I can have Red Hat installed , tweaked and hardened 9 ways to Sunday before I burp up my breakfast. But this! ... 8 months!... and counting!

It's been a while since I looked at Red Hat, but I believe the default bootloader for RH is LILO. Have you tried using LILO in place of GRUB for the bootloader:?:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: