root # help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadsilence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: root # help Reply with quote

Ok first off, I don't really know a lot about Linux nor Gentoo, except that Gentoo looks pretty cool.

Anyways this may sound like a noobish question ( cause it is ) be here you go:

Where do I find my root # password thing? Or do you have to make a user for yourself? I don't know where to find it.

Please if you can help me let me know. I just want to start using Gentoo so bad.

PS: After the root # password thing, is there anything else I should need to know about?

Thanks,
Deadsilence
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome :D

You should read the Gentoo Handbook to learn about installing gentoo.
seank
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a command prompt. If you didn't know that maybe you should checkout an easier distro first like Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandrake, or SuSE. But like mark_alec said, read the installation handbook and if you're having a rough time, check out one of the distros I mentioned to get you started with Linux.
jpjacobs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you really want to have something to play around with without ruining an existing install of wathever, take a look at knoppix: www.knopper.net
It boots from the livecd and if you mess thing up to badly you just reboot and all is back to normal!
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A newbie CAN install and even maintain a system contrary to some opinion, but it WILL screw with your current perception of how things work if you're coming from a windows-only background.

If you got the time and the resolve, read the handbook. Then read it again. Once you understand it then follow it for an install. Hang out here, ask for help when you can't help yourself & give help where you can.

If you have any fear of a command line though, don't start with gentoo.

And do download and burn off a knoppix CD / DVD anyway, I usually have one on me whereever I go just in case... Plus if you screw your gentoo system you can fix it in a VT while playing Chromium :)

I hear a lot about Ubuntu recently if you decide not to go for Gentoo - not used it myself but what I've heard sounds very good.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: