Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Modular X server bugs, annoyances and solutions (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like... just everything below:
Code:
># Modularized X, upstream release candidates
???

can i just comment that out in there or do i have to put it into -.unmask and -.keywords?
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H-Dragon wrote:
can i just comment that out in there or do i have to put it into -.unmask and -.keywords?

Pull it into .unmask, else your next emerge --sync will overwrite your changes and mask the packages again.
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about all the same ones that are masked with keywords as well?
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy and paste .... never mind... got it. :oops:
kiwi_uk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I upgraded and I sorely regret it :)

I'm using the radeon driver with mergedfb for my two TFTs and there appears to be serious problems with something, I'm not sure what. If I run without EXA enabled, it just freezes up as soon as I open a window of Konqueror but stays ok if I don't. If I run it WITH EXA it's been stable so far but moving windows and scrolling down web pages exhibits serious tearing like it wasn't accelerated at all. DRI appears to be enabled by the log from Xorg.

Running without MergedFB, all seems quite fine :-| Anyone with any great ideas?

Thanks,
Jon

P.S
Also, I just noticed that some of the text on SOME widgets in KDE as been replaced with small excperts of a movie I just watched full screen using Kaffeine/XINE/Xv. Winnar.

[EDIT] P.S.S Everything is just a bit slow too... also Konsoles background is a huge excerpt from that movie I just played. Funky but broken :)
sian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I updated xorg-x11 to 7.0.0_rc1 version and now it complains about :

Quote:

(EE) Failed to load module "ati" (not found)
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (not found)
(EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (not found)

I ran xorgconfig several times without success.

Did you have the same problem ?

Thanx for your answer !
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericxx2005 wrote:
I just emerged xorg-server today, and I'm also getting the mouse button switch (2 and 3). It's annoying to have to press the middle mouse button to have a menu pop up in fluxbox. I hope they fix this soon. xmodmap didn't help here either.

I fixed it by tweaking the source a bit - the post is a couple of pages back. Anything less (xmodmap or similar) simply doesn't seem to make any difference.
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwi_uk wrote:

I'm using the radeon driver with mergedfb for my two TFTs and there appears to be serious problems with something, I'm not sure what. If I run without EXA enabled, it just freezes up as soon as I open a window of Konqueror but stays ok if I don't. If I run it WITH EXA it's been stable so far but moving windows and scrolling down web pages exhibits serious tearing like it wasn't accelerated at all. DRI appears to be enabled by the log from Xorg.

Thanks,
Jon

P.S
Also, I just noticed that some of the text on SOME widgets in KDE as been replaced with small excperts of a movie I just watched full screen using Kaffeine/XINE/Xv. Winnar.

[EDIT] P.S.S Everything is just a bit slow too... also Konsoles background is a huge excerpt from that movie I just played. Funky but broken :)

Have you tried a revdep-rebuild?
opengl-update?
Does you X.logs contain anything with a <WW> or <EE>?
Does Konqueror hang even when EXA was enabled?
For me everything works like a charm currently (whit nvidia-binary and on x86).
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sian wrote:
Hello all,

I updated xorg-x11 to 7.0.0_rc1 version and now it complains about :

Quote:

(EE) Failed to load module "ati" (not found)
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (not found)
(EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (not found)

I ran xorgconfig several times without success.

Did you have the same problem ?

Thanx for your answer !

Have you emerge x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse x11-drivers/xf86-input-kbd x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati?
Ma3oxuct
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this thread should be merge with this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-398147.html
pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problems with nvidia drivers.

I have:
media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r4
media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r7

When I'm trying startx I get the following error:
Code:
Symbol fbWinPrivateIndex from module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbWinPrivateIndex from module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Required symbol xf86InterpretEDID from module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Required symbol xf86PrintEDID from module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbPictureInit from module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbValidateGC from module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbGCPrivateIndex from module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbCreateGC from module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbCreateWindow from module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol fbCloseScreen from module /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o is unresolved!

Fatal server error:
Some required symbols were unresolved

There's no errors or warnings in Xorg.log. It seems to load nvidia-driver properly and then just crashes after loading module "dcc".

Any ideas?
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a warning, the swapped-buttons-bug bit me this mornig. I use a thinkpad, with usb mouse, trackpoint and touchpad. Strangely enough, the swapped buttons problem appears as soon as I don't configure the touchpad in xorg.conf (synaptics driver), and goes away if I do. For all pointer devices. Can anybody make sense of this behaviour?
pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried upgrading to 1.0.7676 and it worked!

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of random locups so I'd rather stick with 1.0.6629, so is there any way to make them work with modular xorg?
kiwi_uk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:

Have you tried a revdep-rebuild?
opengl-update?
Does you X.logs contain anything with a <WW> or <EE>?
Does Konqueror hang even when EXA was enabled?
For me everything works like a charm currently (whit nvidia-binary and on x86).

Yes, all dependencies are met according to revdep-rebuild and prelink. I've set the correct OpenGL subsystem, not that it should matter. There is plenty of WW and no EE:

(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:2:0:1) found
(WW) RADEON(0): config file hsync range 30-90kHz not within DDC hsync ranges.
(WW) RADEON(0): config file vrefresh range 75-75Hz not within DDC vrefresh ranges.
(WW) RADEON(0): config file hsync range 30-90kHz not within DDC hsync ranges.
(WW) RADEON(0): config file vrefresh range 75-75Hz not within DDC vrefresh ranges.
(WW) RADEON(0): Enabling DRM support
(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

I'm not sure why Direct Rendering gets disabled there... maybe my 9600 XT isn't supported.

Konqueror doesn't hand when EXA is enabled, it does when it isn't. All of this is in mergedfb mode - non mergedfb is fine either way.

Thanks,
Jon
sian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx I emerged xf86-input-mouse xf86-input-keyboard xf86-video-ati and it solved partially my problem.

Now xorg-x11 complains :

Preinit failed with "Mouse1"

Another problem is with the "fr" keyboard layout (not contained in xkbcomp ?)

Thanx for your help !
jonls
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwi_uk wrote:

I have a similar problem on a laptop with a radeon 9600, running gnome. It freezes completely within about 20 mins after login, both with and without exa enabled. I have tried different configurations, but the only thing that seems to work is setting NoAccel to "true" ... and that doesn't even stop it from freezing, it just ensures that it will stay alive a bit longer. I have also tried several combinations of AGPMode, RenderAccel, DynamicClocks and not loading the modules "dri", "drm" and "glx" ... but without any luck. When it freezes, it's completely locked up: It is impossible to login to the laptop through ssh and the magic sysrq keys doesn't work.
Modular x is rock solid on my desktop with nvidia drivers, though.
kiwi_uk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonls wrote:

I have a similar problem on a laptop with a radeon 9600, running gnome. It freezes completely within about 20 mins after login, both with and without exa enabled. I have tried different configurations, but the only thing that seems to work is setting NoAccel to "true" ... and that doesn't even stop it from freezing, it just ensures that it will stay alive a bit longer. I have also tried several combinations of AGPMode, RenderAccel, DynamicClocks and not loading the modules "dri", "drm" and "glx" ... but without any luck. When it freezes, it's completely locked up: It is impossible to login to the laptop through ssh and the magic sysrq keys doesn't work.

Ah, must be something with the radeon driver :-| I think I may just go back to monolithic X as I can't work like this - I'll wait till Monday and hope it's fixed. Does X.org have a bugzilla or something? I'll try NoAccel too, but I think that's what I've got now. Thanks for your Nvidia driver recommendation - I'd be very happy if nvidia drivers worked with ATi cards!

Jon
jonls
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwi_uk wrote:
jonls wrote:

Ah, must be something with the radeon driver :-| I think I may just go back to monolithic X as I can't work like this - I'll wait till Monday and hope it's fixed. Does X.org have a bugzilla or something? I'll try NoAccel too, but I think that's what I've got now. Thanks for your Nvidia driver recommendation - I'd be very happy if nvidia drivers worked with ATi cards!

Jon

I found this in the freedesktop.org bugzilla: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3510.
eremini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111448

Anyone else has this problem ?
Bonkie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried with sane(r) CFLAGS & CXXFLAGS ??
eremini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried with only -O and -march for both, same result
ilmusy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StringCheesian wrote:
ilmusy wrote:
I've done 'emerge sync', then 'emerge --search xorg-x11' but it can't find any ebuild for the new releases. Is there something wrong what I do or have I to wait until the ebuilds will be official?

The new modular one in named xorg-server. There's also a new monolithic release, but I don't know of any working ebuilds for it.

I'm now a little bit confused. There exists a new ebuild xorg-x11-7.0.0_rc1.ebuild. Is this the same modular x-server with a different name, is this the monolithic release or what?

Thanks
misterjack
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel1 wrote:
I finally got sick enough of the stupid evdev button swapping thing to do something about it. Luckily it's a fairly simple fix - as pointed out here.

You can get my (slightly) modified ebuild here.

n1 work ;)
Karl-Franz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sian wrote:

Another problem is with the "fr" keyboard layout (not contained in xkbcomp ?)

Also experiencing problems with xkb (swedish). In KDE the flag icon is exchanged with a er with the tooltip error setting xkb. Will recompiling KDE solve anything?
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilmusy wrote:
I'm now a little bit confused. There exists a new ebuild xorg-x11-7.0.0_rc1.ebuild. Is this the same modular x-server with a different name, is this the monolithic release or what?

Thanks
It's a meta-ebuild. Basically it does nothing but depend on all the essential X.org components. It's similar to how gnome-base/gnome is just a meta-ebuild that depends on all of the core GNOME components, etc.

X.org 7RC1 is running just fine on my box. The one small trouble I had with it was that it would not recognize a default "fixed" font, so it would never start. Copying over /usr/share/fonts from my old tarball'd X.org 6.8 seems to have fixed that though (it's a dirty kludge, but it works...)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 8 of 37

Jump to: