Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Modular X server bugs, annoyances and solutions (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, yesterday I decided to install modular X using the HOWTO from Spyderous' website. Everything so far works fine (after revdep-rebuild and emerging some other additional missing libs).
It runs on two X86 machines, one with nvidia-glx driver, the other with the Xorg ati-driver. Both servers run fine :D :D
However, for one issiue I couldnt find yet a solution. I can do what I want the Xvfb does not start. I always get the error message
Code:
Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts, removing from list!
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
As all my fonts are installed in /usr/share/fonts I hoped the issue would go away when I add the line
Code:
--with-default-font-path=/usr/share/fonts
in the xorg-server ebuild. Unfortunately nothing changed in the behaviour (except that Xvfb complained to not be able to init font path element /usr/share/fonts).
I guess this behaviour could be due to some leftover from the monolith, but at the moment I have no clue what it could be. So any help is very appreciated, as I cannot install ebuilds that inherit the virtualx.eclass
thanks
Rukie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering using this howto, but I am not sure, will it work witha hardened kernel? I definately went through a lot of work to get the kernel working right, and now it would seem I can't use selinux because of my reiser filesystem and I definitely don't want to lose my nvidia drivers/opengl.. (I got myself some nice games that don't work with the regular nv drivers...)

So uhm, ya, Does it work with hardened kernels? If so, sweet, if not.. I'm screwed, I think. (Static doesn't work with nvidia either does it?)
zbyte64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:
zbyte64 wrote:
zake: it seems i needed to emerge libXinerama as well. Works now... with some messyness errors, should have it banged out before i goto bed....

Tried revdep-rebuild?
Most of my problems came from missing libX*, and a simple
Code:
revdep-rebuild -p | grep libX
gave me a nice little list over what libs programs expected to find.

thx! I didn't know about that command, helps allot :)
drolyk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rukie wrote:
I'm considering using this howto, but I am not sure, will it work witha hardened kernel? I definately went through a lot of work to get the kernel working right, and now it would seem I can't use selinux because of my reiser filesystem and I definitely don't want to lose my nvidia drivers/opengl.. (I got myself some nice games that don't work with the regular nv drivers...)

So uhm, ya, Does it work with hardened kernels? If so, sweet, if not.. I'm screwed, I think. (Static doesn't work with nvidia either does it?)

I use it in selinux env but without any hardened feature like hardened gcc profile or something else :)
d4rk74m4
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rukie wrote:

I'm running the modular X packages here on hardened-sources-2.6.13, but I don't use any SELinux stuff, just PaX and GRSecurity. The only problems I've faced wrt nvidia drivers is that a lot of opengl apps are killed by PaX when CONFIG_PAX_MPROTECT is turned on. This can be worked around by using paxctl on all binaries that require it.
fuoco
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone knows when RC1 is supposed to be out ?

I'm about to start a new gentoo install and I'd like to use modular X - how should I do that ? it's not actually migrating since there won't be another older xorg... In that case will it be enough to unmask xorg-server and let gnome pull the needed modular-xorg dependencies ?
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuoco wrote:
I'm about to start a new gentoo install and I'd like to use modular X - how should I do that ? it's not actually migrating since there won't be another older xorg... In that case will it be enough to unmask xorg-server and let gnome pull the needed modular-xorg dependencies ?

Sorry, does not work that way.
There are some programs needing some of the libX* stuff wich does not depend on them, so you have to emerge some libX* by hand.
And when I tried build modular on a clean system I got some problems starting xorg, just got the message that it could not find a fixed font and then it errored out.
fuoco
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the reason is that not all packages in portage are adapted to the new modular X dependencies ?
wuno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonkie wrote:

I dont have much in /usr/lib/X11 at all (certainly not libXdmGreet.so) so I dont understand why xdm keeps complaining about it :?

Code:
# tail /var/log/xdm.log
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Sep 26 20:24:26 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
xdm error (pid 3774): /usr/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory while loading /usr/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

I have the same problem also with brandnew xdm-0.99.1_pre20051014. As there are no USE flags that could help, could there be any other solution? (gdm works fine here). Just had a look in my old xorg-x11 archive there was no libXdmGreet.so either and xdm worked.
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:
fuoco wrote:

Sorry, does not work that way.
There are some programs needing some of the libX* stuff wich does not depend on them, so you have to emerge some libX* by hand.
And when I tried build modular on a clean system I got some problems starting xorg, just got the message that it could not find a fixed font and then it errored out.

Actually, I'm posting this on Xorg modular installed on a clean new Gentoo install. Figuring out the dependancies took a little work, but it's fine now.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0n wrote:
Sprotte wrote:
I read the guide, but I dont plan to use any old parts from 6.8.2.
well. is there any way to build the xorg-server with the elfloader instead of the dlloader?

I just brought up the 6.8.2 stuff to illustrate that it's likely that dlloader is the only supported method right now. I could be wrong, of course, I'm by no means an expert on the newer Xorg stuff. I'm guessing that it's just not supported anymore.

elfloader is not supported in 7.0 and most of the support for building with it doesn't exist in the autotools files.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: The modular X server bugs, annoyances and solutions thre Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
Bonkie wrote:

It also helps to add

Code:
virtual/xft x11-libs/libXft

If you really want to use the fontserver, yes. But I urge everyone not to use this obsolete piece of software. Use fontconfig instead.

Xft is not the fontserver. That's xfs. Xft is part of client-side rendering, as well as fontconfig.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
Bonkie wrote:
Xdm wont start, keeps complaining:

Code:
xdm error (pid 27383): /usr/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory while loading /usr/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so

Cant find it in x11-libs so what am I missing ??

Are you sure you cleaned out your old X11 properly before emerging the new stuff? Since all libs (except modules and drivers) for modular xorg go directly into /usr/lib, nothing should be linked against /usr/lib/X11/<whatever>.so. Consider wiping out and re-emerging all your X stuff.

xdm probably should build this library eventually but isn't yet.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuno wrote:
Ok, yesterday I decided to install modular X using the HOWTO from Spyderous' website. Everything so far works fine (after revdep-rebuild and emerging some other additional missing libs).
It runs on two X86 machines, one with nvidia-glx driver, the other with the Xorg ati-driver. Both servers run fine :D :D
However, for one issiue I couldnt find yet a solution. I can do what I want the Xvfb does not start. I always get the error message
Code:
Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts, removing from list!
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
As all my fonts are installed in /usr/share/fonts I hoped the issue would go away when I add the line
Code:
--with-default-font-path=/usr/share/fonts
in the xorg-server ebuild. Unfortunately nothing changed in the behaviour (except that Xvfb complained to not be able to init font path element /usr/share/fonts).
I guess this behaviour could be due to some leftover from the monolith, but at the moment I have no clue what it could be. So any help is very appreciated, as I cannot install ebuilds that inherit the virtualx.eclass
thanks

This should be fixed.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuoco wrote:
I suppose the reason is that not all packages in portage are adapted to the new modular X dependencies ?

Exactly. You can help by filing bugs against those packages using http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/porting_to_modular_x_howto.txt.
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any knowledge about the swapped mousebuttons with evdev? Don't know if it is the same with other drivers, have not had the time to try. But it is really staring to destroy my experience of modular-x.....

But now at least my computer runs, and it seems like som things actually are a bit faster... Is that plaebo or have it do with fewer libs needed to be linked? I noticed that while some of the linked libs revdep reported was needed some of them were not.

Oh, I did experience a problem today when I migrated this computer:
With xorg-x11 emerge vte worked nice.
However with modular I first had to
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/freetype2/freetype /usr/lib/freetype
(did try just remergin freetype first) before it could find a headerfile... This did not happend last time I migrated (nearly the same setup). Could it have to with I that time build all the libs revdep reported as "required" and not this time?
Priyantha Bleeker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109354
there is a bug listed wich is not yet fixed.

Code:

checking for XDMXCONFIG_DEP... configure: error: Package requirements (xaw7 xmu xt xpm x11) were not met.
Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively you may set the XDMXCONFIG_DEP_CFLAGS and XDMXCONFIG_DEP_LIBS environment variables
to avoid the need to call pkg-config.  See the pkg-config man page for
more details.

!!! Please attach the config.log to your bug report:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/xorg-server-0.99.1_p20051013-r1/work/xorg-server-0.99.1_p20051013/config.log

!!! ERROR: x11-base/xorg-server-0.99.1_p20051013-r1 failed.
!!! Function econf, Line 495, Exitcode 0
!!! econf failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Bonkie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libXaw7 belongs to
Code:
*  x11-libs/libXaw
      Latest version available: 0.99.0
      Latest version installed: 0.99.0
      Size of downloaded files: 463 kB
      Homepage:    http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
      Description: X.Org Xaw library
      License:     X11

There were more deps missing from the ebuild, but I cant recall which ones
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pango seems to be able to build without libXft merged, however that was not nice when it came to remegre mozilla-firefox:
Code:
checking for xft pangoxft >= 1.1.0... Package pangoxft was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pangoxft.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'pangoxft' found
configure: error: Library requirements (xft pangoxft >= 1.1.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

Merge libXft and remerge pango did seem to solve it, however I don't have a clue how this should be adressed within portage.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:
Merge libXft and remerge pango did seem to solve it, however I don't have a clue how this should be adressed within portage.

Wouldn't making libXft a pango dependency (via USE flag?) work?
peabody12
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: libX11 requirements Reply with quote

I think libX11 needs to require kbproto to compile. I got this error:

Code:
 i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../src -I../../include/X11 -I../../include -I../../include/X11 -I../../include -I../../include/X11 -I../../src/xcms -I../../src/xkb -I../../src/xlibi18n -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing -D_BSD_SOURCE -DHAS_FCHOWN -DHAS_STICKY_DIR_BIT -D_BSD_SOURCE -march=athlon-mp -O1 -pipe -MT XKB.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/XKB.Tpo -c XKB.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/XKB.o
XKB.c:36:37: error: X11/extensions/XKBproto.h: No such file or directory
In file included from XKBlibint.h:33,
                 from XKB.c:37:
../../include/X11/XKBlib.h:33:35: error: X11/extensions/XKBstr.h: No such file or directory
../../include/X11/XKBlib.h:218: error: 'XkbActionMessageLength' undeclared here (not in a function)

while trying to install it.

Edit: after installing kbproto I got this one:

Code:
 i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I../include/X11 -I../include -I../include/X11 -I../include -I../include/X11 -I../src/xcms -I../src/xkb -I../src/xlibi18n -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing -D_BSD_SOURCE -DHAS_FCHOWN -DHAS_STICKY_DIR_BIT -D_BSD_SOURCE -DX11_t -DTRANS_CLIENT -march=athlon-mp -O1 -pipe -MT ConnDis.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/ConnDis.Tpo -c ConnDis.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/ConnDis.o
ConnDis.c:41:23: error: X11/Xauth.h: No such file or directory
ConnDis.c:42:23: error: X11/Xdmcp.h: No such file or directory
ConnDis.c:716: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
ConnDis.c: In function 'GetAuthorization':

It's also strange cause i noticed kbproto and libXauth are both in the dependencies of libX11. Anyway, that seemed to make it install (i went ahead and emerged libXdmcp when I noticed that dependency, but had to use the copied Xauth.h. Finally realized Xauth.h should come from libXau. Oh well, no clue why it ignored these dependencies - must have thought they were installed.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: libX11 requirements Reply with quote

peabody12 wrote:
I think libX11 needs to require kbproto to compile. I got this error:

Code:
 i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../src -I../../include/X11 -I../../include -I../../include/X11 -I../../include -I../../include/X11 -I../../src/xcms -I../../src/xkb -I../../src/xlibi18n -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing -D_BSD_SOURCE -DHAS_FCHOWN -DHAS_STICKY_DIR_BIT -D_BSD_SOURCE -march=athlon-mp -O1 -pipe -MT XKB.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/XKB.Tpo -c XKB.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/XKB.o
XKB.c:36:37: error: X11/extensions/XKBproto.h: No such file or directory
../../include/X11/XKBlib.h:33:35: error: X11/extensions/XKBstr.h: No such file or directory
../../include/X11/XKBlib.h:218: error: 'XkbActionMessageLength' undeclared here (not in a function)

Your installation is screwed up. Both those dependencies are already in libX11. You probably installed monolith on top of modular, then uninstalled it again. Or something similar.
wuno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyderous wrote:
Bonkie wrote:
Xdm wont start, keeps complaining:
Code:
xdm error (pid 27383): /usr/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory while loading /usr/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so

Cant find it in x11-libs so what am I missing ??

xdm probably should build this library eventually but isn't yet.

I found a workaround from Ubuntu. If you build with:
Code:
CFLAGS="(insert here your ${CFLAGS} from /etc/make.conf) -DGREET_USER_STATIC" emerge xdm
you can start xdm. However the greeter complains then, that you'll start an insecure session.
Moreover, I found many older statements on the web that compiling libXdmGreet.so as a shared library was retracted several years ago and I also couldn't find a this library in the archive of my monolithic build (was xorg-x11-6.99.15).
lefou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know, if the current xorg-server ebuild (p20051013-r1) has support for the new EXA architecture with radeon cards?

Thanks,
lefou
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefou wrote:
Does anybody know, if the current xorg-server ebuild (p20051013-r1) has support for the new EXA architecture with radeon cards?

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/ExaStatus
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 4 of 37

Jump to: