Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Looking for customer management software...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Looking for customer management software... Reply with quote

can anyone recoommend some open source customer management software, something along the lines of ACT!? Please don't say enlightenment, it is not teh sort of thing I am looking for.
chrish01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say 'enlightenment'...im gonna assume you meant Evolution...which you are right, it isnt what you are looking for. May i suggest you pull out your favorite database and php and write your own? i happen to be doing the same for my company right now as we are dissatisfied with other systems.
--

chris
ClippyHater
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to what your list of "must-have's" is for the program you'd like to find?
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrish01 wrote:
when you say 'enlightenment'...im gonna assume you meant Evolution...which you are right, it isnt what you are looking for. May i suggest you pull out your favorite database and php and write your own? i happen to be doing the same for my company right now as we are dissatisfied with other systems.
--

chris

You are correct, I did mean evolution. I mix those two up all the time, especially if I'm starting of evolution from the command line, or altering my .xinitrc.

I have considered doing the database thing, but I don't think I want to dedicate what little time I have to mastering mySQL when I could just do it up in Forth or C++
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClippyHater wrote:
I'm curious as to what your list of "must-have's" is for the program you'd like to find?

When I am handling something for a customer, whether a custom work order or a complain with a product I carry, or an internal matter, I want to be able to keep a record of who called who or met with who where and when, and what responsibilities each person has. I handle too many issues at one time to keep it to memory, and I type very quickly, and my call log has notes all over the place.

It's sort of a to-do list on speed mixed in with a calendar and a contact list. I want to remember all the steps, and which ones I have taken , and who I have left messages for. I have to juggle my customer's needs, my bosses concerns, and the requirements of a manufacturer togeather with the product data ( unit sizes, cost and pricing) so that when I am talking to one of the other or reporting in to the boss, that I have all the info together.

I don;'t want to have to remember the names of people involved when I go to my phone list, I want the phone list included in the project area.

So: that's a phone list, call record calender, to-do list, product database or spreadsheet, and text editor all rolled into one.

Now a note about look and feel: Personally, I like the feel of console apps better- I use the keyboard far better than the mouse- but I like pretty graphics, too. If someone ever did a X windows version of pine with WordStar keybindings I'd be in heaven.
chrish01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you need Help-Desk software. I know there is special software around for that purpose.
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought help desk stuff was specifically for computer network management.
I'm in architectural products.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: