GRUB error 5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
move
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: GRUB error 5 Reply with quote

I have a strange problem, grub stops at stage 1.5 with error 5 (invalid partition table), but the partition table looks fine, fdisk shows nothing wrong. Also grub from suse works fine, so I assume it is a grub problem.

What changed on my system is that I installed suse (as a backup - I like living on the edge with gentoo :) ) and its grub.
I modified suse's grub config by hand to reflect gentoo's one, and it works fine. Now I tried to reinstall gentoo's grub and I got this problem.

/boot is in the same partition as root in both systems (gentoo: hde2, suse: hde3 since it is an external controller) and
Code:
grub-install /dev/hde

and
Code:
root (hd0,1) # if gentoo
root (hd0,2) # if suse
setup (hd0) # for both

succeessed with no error.

It may be that I upgraded grub's version meanwhile, but a few months have passed so I cannot remember. I already tried stripping cflags before emerging grub and googled around but found no mention of such a problem.
chrbecke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what causes the problem is that you are not supposed to install grub in your MBR and use a different grub.conf for each distribution.
grub is a boot loader, if installed in the MBR it should be common for all operating systems on your machine (i. e. boot the operating system directly or chainload it's specific boot loader).
If you want to install a version of grub each for Gentoo and Suse, you should have one installation in your MBR which loads on boot. Then you need one installation in each distribution's boot (or root) partition, which you chainload from grub installed in your MBR.
So this is how grub should be used, not sure what to do to solve your problem, though.
I'd suggest a reinstall of grub, using one distro and do not install grub using the other, but add an entry for your second distro in your grub.conf.
move
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrbecke wrote:
I'd suggest a reinstall of grub, using one distro and do not install grub using the other, but add an entry for your second distro in your grub.conf.

This is what I did. I use one grub to boot all my os's. The config is almost the same since I copied the gentoo part from gentoo to suse and vice-versa to ensure that it was not a config problem. You don't need to chainload another grub, since it can boot linux from any partition, not just the one you've installed it to. So I have suse's grub with an entry for suse and an entry for gentoo, gentoo's grub.conf is the same (except for splashimage config line). This always worked fine, but now:
install suse's grub -> works
install gentoo's grub -> doesn't work.
syg00
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in January I masked grub >=0.95 (comment in package.mask)
Was in response to a problem someone posted - can't remember why now, but I'm sticking with 0.94, and haven't seen any issues others are reporting.
With the lack of development on grub legacy, I don't think I'm going to miss anything I desperately need, and it don't break.

Might be worth forcing a downgrade to see if that fixes your issue.
move
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirm: I tried every version backward and it seems the latest working one is 0.94-r1. I will stick to that one for the moment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: