Matrix Orbital MX610 lcdproc LCDd questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Matrix Orbital MX610 lcdproc LCDd questions Reply with quote

Greetings. I have searched the forums, google etc and just can't seem to nail this down...I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out. I'm running Gentoo 2.6.12 r6. I just bought a lcd screen from Matrix Orbital and need more info on lcdproc and LCDd. I have hooked everything up properly and configured LCDd as well as lcdproc ...currently my screen scrolls thru quite a few displays showing memory, cpu, load etc...but they are only what was given in the MAN or help files...I am hoping there is MORE. My main goal is to display my CPU temperature using the motherboards built in sensors? I know you can do this with windows and LCDC...but I want this to work in linux and am hoping someone has some experience to help me along.

One thing bugging me is, in /etc/lcdproc.conf, I have stipulated the following screen:
Code:
SCREENS="C"
which should yield just the CPU data...but instead, the screen continues to scroll at 8 second intervals ALL the options:
Code:
 Mode letters:   [C]pu [G]raph [T]ime [M]emory [X]load [D]isk [B]attery
                        proc_[S]izes [O]ld_time big_cloc[K] [U]ptime CPU_SM[P]
                        [A]bout

and no matter what I stipulate after "SCREENS" the output from the LCD is always the same...keeps scrolling thru all those options. I don't know of any other config files other than /etc/lcdproc.conf and /etc/LCDd.conf. Somehow, it's using something else?

Does anyone have experience using lcdproc that could give me some further insight to LCDd.conf and lcdproc.conf? As I said earlier...I'm hoping there are "more" variables I can input into those conf files...

I don't know how to use the 2 thermal probes I have attached...not sure how to activate/access them.

How do I get rid of the screen that shows the lcdproc version and authors? I don't care to have it scrolling thru the display along with the other information I do want, but I don't see anywhere that I can disable it?

I would appreciate any information anyone could give me...I feel I have searched google, the gentoo linux forums (my linux distro) and this forum extensively...but I have missed finding what information I require. Thanks much for your help...
IT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
IT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/bump...

anyone out there familiar with LCDproc? I would appreciate some assistance.
SimonKellett
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Matrix Orbital MX610 lcdproc LCDd questions Reply with quote

IT wrote:
but they are only what was given in the MAN or help files...I am hoping there is MORE.

What you see is what you get. The lcdproc is a sample client: you can write your own, or do what I did: hack around the example lcdproc to get what you want. Other clients available are listed at http://lcdproc.org/clients.php3
IT wrote:
My main goal is to display my CPU temperature using the motherboards built in sensors?

There are at least 2 stages: get the kernel etc to make the temps available to applications, and then get an lcdproc client to read them. For the first part you need to Google around for your mobo etc. With the correct kernel config I manage to get the main CPU temp. shown in /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-0290/temp3_input and extended my lcdproc client hack to read this.
IT wrote:
One thing bugging me is, in /etc/lcdproc.conf, I have stipulated the following screen:
Code:
SCREENS="C"
which should yield just the CPU data...but instead, the screen continues to scroll at 8 second intervals ALL the options

/usr/bin/lcdproc C works for me. Looks like a bug in the Gentoo startup script: try removing the "--" from /etc/init.d/lcdproc.
IT wrote:
How do I get rid of the screen that shows the lcdproc version and authors?

Hack the lcdproc client !!

Simon
IT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate your input SimonKellett. I believe I have a bit more direction now...thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: