View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammib
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Font problems Reply with quote

Before I begin I would just like to say, I have been using Gentoo for years now, and I consider it to be by far the best Linux distribution going; apart from one thing, it is damn ugly. I have tried everything I can to get it to render fonts properly, but with only limited success.

This problem was highlighted to me again when I installed Suse 10 beta 4 on my desktop, fonts are rendered beautifully on it. The difference can be shown in the two images:

http://www.beecroft.co.uk/Gentoo.jpg
and
http://www.beecroft.co.uk/Suse.jpg

These clearly show Suse doing anti aliasing and Gentoo not.

I have freetype installed, I have the truetype USE flag, in XFCE I have anti-aliasing turned on, full pixel hinting and RGB sub-pixel hinting.

The only differences between these 2 setups is the Suse box is running KDE @ 1024x768 and the Gentoo box is running XFCE at 1400x1050, although I don't think these can make a difference.

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Jammib
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this HOWTO help?
jammib
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that PA, that solved most of my problems except the one that I captured screenshots of, which seems to be a firefox problem, rendering specific pages notably www.theregister.co.uk.

I thought I would take a look at the style sheets to work out which font wasn't being rendered correctly. I used the firefox web developer extension to edit the sites css, and upon loading the "edit CSS sidebar" the site rendered correctly! Turning the sidebar off again made the site render badly again, it only seems to do this with the edit CSS sidebar. I will try re-emerging firefox and see if that helps; I will post again if anyone is interested.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: