View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Need enlightenment with e Reply with quote

Like my catchy title?....

Anyways...I had to redo my computer. I have tried KDE, and gnome, and got to try a bit of enlightenment before my computer died again. I really like the eye candy of e17. It is a bit buggy and the binary confs are a PITA, but I only tried it a bit so thats AFAIK. But....my real question is, there really is no base of apps, like in gnome and kde. Would it just be a good idea to stick with library(gtk or qt) and use the apps, and just run enlightenment. Or should I install the whole DE (gnome/kde) and throw e17 on top of it? Or should I not worry about using both gtk and qt for apps. I know this is my personal choice, just like some feedback.....OH is e17 worth the bugginess over e16? Or is e16 still PDG?
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to use either programs which use GTK or QT. And no, there is no need to install the whole Gnome / KDE Environment. Just emerge the programs you want, they will work exactly the same like they would in Gnome or KDE.

And in my opinion, E16 is certainly the more comfortable way of managing windows. No other window manager has such a great and easy "Window-Remembering" Feature. That's one reason why I still stick with E16 ;)
PRC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....few more questions for the e guru. I love the look of entrance...its part of e17 so I guess I have to go through the e17 install for that part. I'm assuming that entrance is independent of e. Is there any other parts of e17 needed? And will all the deps get grabbed by "emerge enlightenment" for e16?
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4User wrote:
Thanks....few more questions for the e guru. I love the look of entrance...its part of e17 so I guess I have to go through the e17 install for that part. I'm assuming that entrance is independent of e. Is there any other parts of e17 needed? And will all the deps get grabbed by "emerge enlightenment" for e16?

I fully agree you...Entrance is beautiful! ;)

You could look what portage will emerge by adding a -pv, e.g:
Code:
emerge entrance -pv

PRC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the e17 install. It may be a little unstable, and its a little ruff around the usuability edges, but damn does it got a damn big ass mofo WOAH Factor. It's already went through and compiled qt and gtk......I guess something needed it.....Oh well...goodnight while it compiles.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: