[SOLVED] Almost there :)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjackson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Almost there :) Reply with quote

Ok, so far i've a 85% fully functional gentoo gnome desktop. the only things i dont have are, the ability to print and sound. also totem does not want to work, whenever i run it, i get an error that the device or resource is busy. this is even after a reboot. not sure if this has to do with the sound not working yet.

as far as printing goes, cups is running but i have no options under Desktop -> Administration -> "no printing option". i noticed on my ubuntu box thats where its located to setup a printer. i have yet to find a way to setup my printer, anywhere. my soundcard apparently is not being seen, not sure why. its an onboard ac97 intel soundcard.

i used the genkernel approach when compiling Gentoo, as my internet is down.

sorry so short and not in-depth, im at work and my internet time is limited

thanks in advance

Last edited by rjackson on Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To set up your printer, have you looked at this (scroll down to "Installing the Printer")?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and for sound, this is the first place to look...

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

sorry if you've already been through this.
rjackson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, i never noticed this guide before, i have all the other ones.

also i noticed that there really was no support in the kernel config for Kyro based graphics cards. i have an old Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II im using. it's no big problem so far, im using generic vesa drivers and everything seems ok, except for the extrememly slow screensavers. the machine should handle them no problem. P4 2.4ghz / 1GB ram

but thats for another day. i just happy i actually got this to work. i definitely enjoyed building it myself (of course with 100% help from the forum and the handbook. without those i'd still be stuck on root# after the live cd booted).

even though i have esd and oss installed should i install alsa? i think it is installed already. which brings me to my other question, how to tell what is installed and info about it. kinda like windows had device manager and my computer which tells you how much space the drive has and how much is used. (i've been using system monitor to tell about my drive space). and how to tell what my ip is. and my processor and ram and such. sorry, basically how to tell what my complete system is comprised of.

once again thanks in advanced, this forum is extremely helpfull, and maybe one day i can be the one answering post.
darker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disk space: df
processor: cat /proc/cpuinfo
memory: free

A lot of info is in /proc
rjackson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Almost there :) Reply with quote

ahhh! gotcha!
thanks that will help me out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: