KDE and sound device "lock-out"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShakyJake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: KDE and sound device "lock-out" Reply with quote

Hope the subject line makes sense.

The problem I'm having is apparently KDE is using the sound device for a moment and not allowing another program to play sound.

For example, I boot up, launch KDE. if I were to immediately start Mplayer to play a video or XMMS to play a MP3, it will say the sound device is in use -- although no sound is actually playing. If I wait for about 1-2 minutes the apps run fine.

Honestly, to me, it seems like there is no sound mixing going on. I know if a movie is playing and someone IM's me, I won't hear the IM sound until after i shut down the movie. So I suspect it's partly the fact that no sound mixing is being allowed.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
furanku
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopfully this will be history soon... but for so long: KDE has its own audio mixer called arts. arts does it's output to an underlaying driver. I guess in your case dirctly to alsa, Linux' harware sound driver, but arts can also send it's output to some other audio systems, which send thier output to alsa finally.

If arts uses alsa directly and your soundcard doesn't support hardware mixing or isn't configured to do software mixing (see below) arts blocks the sound device for all non-KDE applications. As this is not a satifiying solution you can change this behavior un the KDE control center unter "Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System". In the tab "Hardware" you can configure the driver arts uses. In the tab "General" you can set the time arts after that arts releases the sound device with the slider "Auto-Suspend".

So if you can not play several sounds at the same time, you have several possibilties.

Alsa by itself supports mixing in two ways. If your soundcard can do it in hardware, and the alsa driver supports it, you're out of trouble. That seems not to be the case for you. The alsa drivers also can do software mixing. Search the forum for "dmix" (or take a look at the alsa homepage) for further information.

arts can also send it's output to jack, which is a low-latency audio system and can also do the mixing. You must emerge the jack-audio-connection-kit first and set it up, probably the most comfortable way is to use the qt-based graphical fronten qjackctl.

In every case KDE applications should use arts, and should not cause any problems in any configuration.
But non KDE applications have to be configured to use the right driver. mplayer for example shows you which audio output it supports if you type
Code:
$ mplayer -ao help
into a console. if you start mplayer with
Code:
$ mplayer -ao arts
it should not conflict with KDE anymore, similiar for other applications and drivers, for xine the commandline would be
Code:
$ xine -A arts

Of course you could also configure arts to use jack. Then you have the choice if you want mplayers output to be mixed by arts as above and then sent to jeck, or direct mplayers output directly to jack via
Code:
$ mplayer -ao jack
which does the mixing. Or, if you have set up dmix you could use
Code:
$ mplayer -ao alsa
, which is the default option and don't need to be specified on the command line.

For most applications with a graphical interface you'll find somwhere in the configuration a switch to set the output driver permanently to the audio system you want to use.

I hope you get the idea. I know that is a terrible mess, and hopefully this will get cleaned up in the next time, for example the KDE developers decided to drop arts for the next major KDE release KDE 4. More and more people use dmix or jack, so hopefully the jack and alsa developer will join thier forces to make the configuration easier.

And the drivers and audio layers I mentioned are not even all audio systems that are in use under Linux, and not every application supports all audio drivers, I couldn't find for example how to use xine with jack.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: