Doh! Permissions for /
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smorrey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Doh! Permissions for / Reply with quote

Well, yep I somehow managed to chmod 777 /
Thus giving the entire world permission to read+write+exec anything if so inclined.
Just curious to know what that they are supposed to be at?
Thanx!
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jettjunker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is very similar, so I figured I would just post here rather than make a new thread.

I accidently:
Code:
sudo chmod 777 /*/*

Now when I startx all I get is a bunch of errors and a blank desktop with only computer and trash links. I can write down the specific errors if I need to, but I imagine there is either an easy fix or none at all.

Is there a way to reset permissions?

It is my first week in linux, so detailed instructions would be greatly appretiated.

One thing to be aware of: before I shut it down, I tried to sudo something, but I got the error: "sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0777, should be 0440". I couln't even change it back to 0440 because that requires using sudo to begin with.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bastard! I had my answer ready for your other thread and you had to delete your post before I could submit! :evil: :evil: :evil:
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewwww. :x

Do you have a backup, or another Gentoo machine with similar packages installed, which you could mount somewhere (with a mountpoint deeper than /*/*)? Then you could probably fix it using something like this:

Code:

for f in /*/*;
do
    chmod -v --reference="/path/to/deep/mount/point/$f" "$f";
done;

This sets the permission using the original files as reference, which should cause permissions to go back to normal. Note that this works only for files which are present in your mountpoint.

If someone tells me how to print the mode of a file in a way chmod can handle, any Gentoo user could provide you with a list of required permissions. Then you could fix it even if you didn't have a backup / other Gentoo machine.

In any case, I recommend you trash your /dev (setting DEVICE_TARBALL to no, deleting the tarball, rebooting should be okay if you use udev).
jettjunker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh, sorry about that. I was just trying to minimize clutter as the forum rules advise.

I ended up having a friend come over that is good with linux. He was nervous about using that script, becuase he thought it might cause more problems and the only way to test it is to run it...

So, he booted up a live cd, mounted my drive, and "chmod 755 /*/*". Then "chmod 440 /etc/sudoers" (to allow sudo). To get gnome back up without all those startup errors I mentioned before he had to "chmod 700 /tmp/*<username>" and "chmod 700 /tmp/*root"

That should get anyone as stupid as me back up and running, but there were quite a few more files changed. I pulled up a ssh of his /, and manually repaired any further discrepancies.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jettjunker wrote:
I ended up having a friend come over that is good with linux. He was nervous about using that script, becuase he thought it might cause more problems and the only way to test it is to run it...

Even if it didn't work, it'd been easy to undo - just run chmod 777 /*/* again. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: