View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paladin-zero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Acroread print margins Reply with quote

I have this problem when I print pdf files with Adobe Reader, where the content is shifted towards the top of the page by almost an inch. I am using acroread-7.0.1.1, and cups-1.1.23-r4.

When I print the same document from kpdf, the content prints correctly. Has anyone else observed this problem with Adobe Reader?, and is there a way to correct it?
jjstickel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. Another thing I have found is if I choose the acrobat reader option "shrink ovsersized pages...", then the top and bottom margins are OK, but the entire page is reduced in size. It might be related to the fact that I print through "kprinter", but then I didn't have this problem in acroread-5. I suspect it is a bug in acroread-7 that will hopefully be fixed in a sub-release.
Seyton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this. Set your paper size/type to A4. I know that it sounds stupid and wrong but I think that acroread has an bug in it that leads to a paper size miscommunication with cups. Also uncheck the expand to fit and shrink to fit options as these will mess with the acroread <-> cups communication. Tell me if this works for you as well.
jjstickel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I set 'paper' to 'A4' in "file->print setup", but it still prints the same (shifted up ~1in)
Seyton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I assumed you were using cups, sorry if that is not the case. Second changing the settings in acroread will not fix the problem you need to change your cups configuration for your printer to use A4 paper as default. This is because the communication error seems to be on the acroread side, not the cups, side of things.

**WARNING**
This proceedure might make other programs not print correctly. As I almost always only print *.pdf files I am A-OK, but you might not be.

1. Open your web browser and go to http://localhost:631
2. Click on "Printers" on the top of the page.
3. Click on "Configure Printer" under your default printer.
4. Set "Page Size" to A4 under general options.
5. Click continue under general options.
6. Print that *.pdf. (without any resizing options)

**NOTE**
This works great on two different printers my Samsung 1740 and the HP 1320n in the office where I work. OK that was not quite true... The HP will not print double sided properly for some reason.
jjstickel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get the first time that you suggested changing the paper size in cups. I did that now, but it doesn't make a difference. For now I will print pdfs with KPDF. Thanks for the suggestions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: