Horrible problem following crash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxrudolph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Horrible problem following crash Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
I am a recent Gentoo convert and I've been loving it up until about 5 minutes ago when my freshly compiled installation of KDE 3.1 completely locked up with no keyboard or mouse response and forced me to do a hard reboot. Upon reboot, I can do almost nothing, and am presented with the message:

xauth: error while loading shared libraries: libXmuu.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

or a variation thereof (with a different library name depending on what I've tried to run) when I try to execute just about any command including 'emerge', 'kdm', and 'startx'. Any help would be appreciated. I've no idea what to do!

Thank You,
Max Rudolph
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot up from a rescue (install CD) for starters, and see what you can find out from there.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I learned the hardway staop and reboot with cd or whatever and fsck.ext2 -f /dev/h?? or fsck.??? for what ever type partion you have. Use the force option. I leanred the had way as in goody system is dead because filesystem has so many errors lets reinstall:8O

hiel
maxrudolph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help! I booted off an install cd and I've run a reiserfsck. No corruptions were found. I have found a problem with /proc/6/exe. The symbolic link appears to be broken and has no target. Does anybody know where it's supposed to point? If indeed a whole bunch of links are broken, would I be right in thinking that a full reinstall might be easier than fixing this problem manually?

max
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's normal for /proc/6/exe not to point anywhere. In fact /proc isn't physically present on your disk at all, it's a virtual filesystem created by the kernel.

As for your booting problem, I assume you're running a display manager. Does it boot ok if you remove xdm from the default runlevel (or boot in single mode)? If that works, then I'd try remerging xfree and see if that fixes the missing libraries.
maxrudolph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing up the /proc/6/exe matter. I already tried emerging xfree, as i can boot to a prompt perfectly. However, I cannot run 'emerge' as I get the error:

python2.2: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Thanks for your help

max
thraxil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be able to fix things by just running ldconfig. see this thread
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: