Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
customizing gnome+metacity (menus and filebrowser)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: customizing gnome+metacity (menus and filebrowser) Reply with quote

I have recently migrated from win ×P to Gentoo, i really like and i am trying to customize my system (and desktop) so i don't have to double-boot to xp win.

I use gnome + metacity, and i have 2 questions:

1. How can i edit menus? i mean i have installed several programms and i cannot access them, even openoffice-ximian can't be accessed.I don't like putting launchers everywhere, if i did, i would have installed kde :twisted: . Is there a way that i can edit menus? i tried using smeg, but it needs python-2.4 witch is masked, an i rather not test my luck ;)
Must i change metacity? what wm (only gnome) do you propose with full customization?? How do i make it default after emerge?

2. I am an ex-win user, so when i double-click folders i want them to open with nautilus-file-browser (the one with the back/for arrows pathnames etc) and not the other one witch it might be the same nautilus thing but it is nothing more than a box, for 2 reasons:
a. I really hate when i want to access /fol1/fol2/fol3/fol4/..../fol15 to open 15 folders, most if the times i when i try to close them, i also close the one i needed at the first place
b. As i said before i am an ex-win user so i am used (and i think it is better) having forward and backword buttons, and seeing the pathname of the folder in witch i am currently browsing

If i am not able to change that, can i make krusader to open with double-click?

Thank you!!!!
gatiba
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change nautilus behaviour using gconf-editor, under apps->nautilus->preferences->always use browser. ;)
alphonce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: customizing gnome+metacity (menus and filebrowser) Reply with quote

KLG wrote:
I have recently migrated from win ×P to Gentoo, i really like and i am trying to customize my system (and desktop) so i don't have to double-boot to xp win.

I use gnome + metacity, and i have 2 questions:

1. How can i edit menus? i mean i have installed several programms and i cannot access them, even openoffice-ximian can't be accessed.I don't like putting launchers everywhere, if i did, i would have installed kde :twisted: . Is there a way that i can edit menus? i tried using smeg, but it needs python-2.4 witch is masked, an i rather not test my luck ;)
Must i change metacity? what wm (only gnome) do you propose with full customization?? How do i make it default after emerge?

i think you lack a file alteration monitor:
Code:
emerge fam
rc-update add famd default
/etc/init.d/famd start

restart gnome, and you will have your installed programs in the menus.

Quote:
2. I am an ex-win user, so when i double-click folders i want them to open with nautilus-file-browser (the one with the back/for arrows pathnames etc) and not the other one witch it might be the same nautilus thing but it is nothing more than a box, for 2 reasons:
a. I really hate when i want to access /fol1/fol2/fol3/fol4/..../fol15 to open 15 folders, most if the times i when i try to close them, i also close the one i needed at the first place
b. As i said before i am an ex-win user so i am used (and i think it is better) having forward and backword buttons, and seeing the pathname of the folder in witch i am currently browsing

If i am not able to change that, can i make krusader to open with double-click?

System->Preferences->File Management
in the Behavior tab, mark "Always open in browser window"

hope it helped
KLG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both for your immidiate answers, i tried this gconf-editor and it worked, that is nice

But!! the famd trick won't work, i have already emerged it and load it on startup. It won't add oOO-ximian in any menu, can't i do those things manually?
KLG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think changing from metacity to enlightment will allow me to manage menus?

I mean is there any windowmanager with those capabilities
CNaylor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metacity doesn't touch the menu; it's part of the GNOME panel. You can use "smeg" to remove menu items, or move entries around (or the built-in editor if you've got 2.12 up and running). The ebuild should have installed a menu entry for you, but if that's not the case then it can be done manually (not with an editor in 2.10 on).

GNOME now uses the freedesktop.org standard for menu entries. Menu entries can be found in /usr/share/application, /usr/local/share/applications, or ~/.local/share/applications. You'll have to look at the entries there for examples (I don't know off hand how to make one myself). Openning an entry from Nautilus can be tricky though (it wants to launch the application), but they are plain text and can be openned from gedit, and I doubt the comman line would give you a problem.

Hope this helps.
KLG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank your for your answer
i will try it as soon as possible, Unfortunately smeg is masked and it depends on on python2.4 witch is also masked and i don't want to push my luck.
I unmerged fam witch wasn't working anyway and was consuming 80-90%resources. I use gamin, It found some menu entries but not everything...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: