View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: clearlooks cairo - first milestone Reply with quote

clearlooks now does cairo, it's not complete but for the impatiant:

cvs -d ':pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome' login
cvs -z3 -d ':pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome' checkout gtk-engines

cd gtk-engines && ./autgen.sh --prefix=/usr

then as I do (fooling the ebuild):

emerge -f gtk-engines, look in the tarball how the folder is named
(in my case gtk-engines-2.6.5)

mv gtk-engines gtk-engines-2.6.5 && tar -jcvf gtk-engines-2.6.5 gtk-engines-2.6.5.tar.bz2
copy bzip2 file to $distfiles and emerge --digest gtk-engines

CVS version of cairo seems to be a bit faster, with it this clearlooks version is as snappy as normal one.
Don't know if it also uses glitz. btw, CVS cairo breaks when enabling glitz (even CVS version).

The bleuish scrollbars and highlights can be too much, in that case adjust in theme details.
neat combi: clearlooks-gperfection with office metacity theme :)

happy breaking :D

-rel
HazarT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Hey, thank's. The Clearlooks-cairo has come far since i last tried it out. Looks very promising indeed.
tr4nce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to work fine with my gentoo :D Compiled glitz and cairo from cvs (cairo cvs isn't breaking with --enable-glitz anymore). Here you got a screeny
chtephan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you please stop making such a fuss about glitz. --enable-glitz enables a GL backend, but GTK+ is a pure X11/XRender-based library. As long as GTK doesn't support GL there won't be anything. It's experimental anyway and buggy. It will be of use once we have a real OpenGL-based X server, but there's still a long way to go.

Anyway, I'm going to test that verison clearlooks-cairo now. :)
graphic23
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed it a few hours ago. It rocks. I love it very much. I think the blue scrollbar looks attractive -well it matches my desktop. I like it very much. :)
infiniteedge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this sounds retarded... how do I install clearlooks on gnome 2.10? I found http://clearlooks.sourceforge.net/, downloaded the metacity theme and installed it with the Theme Preferences in Gnome. But now don't I need the engine too?

Basically, how do I get my desktop to look like that screenshot?
monkey89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chtephan wrote:
Would you please stop making such a fuss about glitz. --enable-glitz enables a GL backend, but GTK+ is a pure X11/XRender-based library. As long as GTK doesn't support GL there won't be anything. It's experimental anyway and buggy. It will be of use once we have a real OpenGL-based X server, but there's still a long way to go.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but gtk 2.8 was rewritten to support cairo as the backend, which supports glitz as its backend. So theoretically, it is possible to use glitz, but its just unstable (and not close to ready), right?
rel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infiniteedge wrote:
Ok, this sounds retarded... how do I install clearlooks on gnome 2.10? I found http://clearlooks.sourceforge.net/, downloaded the metacity theme and installed it with the Theme Preferences in Gnome. But now don't I need the engine too?

Think that you use gtk+ 2.6 with gnome 2.10, in order to use cairo you should get gtk+ 2.8 and its dependancies including the cairo package.
After this you should be able to install the new engine.
clearlooks-cairo is only available in CVS and thus you'd have to perform the steps above in this post.

couldn't resist making a http://members.home.nl/relic/screenie.jpg
rel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey89 wrote:
chtephan wrote:

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but gtk 2.8 was rewritten to support cairo as the backend, which supports glitz as its backend. So theoretically, it is possible to use glitz, but its just unstable (and not close to ready), right?

Guess you're right. GTK+ doesnt have to support GL, cairo does via glitz.
Application will be able to use glitz API's defined in cairo trough GTK+, so glitz will only be available to lets say "clearlooks-cairo" when GTK+
is able to use these glitz API's. Am I wrong here?

-rel
thubble
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rel wrote:
Guess you're right. GTK+ doesnt have to support GL, cairo does via glitz.
Application will be able to use glitz API's defined in cairo trough GTK+, so glitz will only be available to lets say "clearlooks-cairo" when GTK+
is able to use these glitz API's. Am I wrong here?

-rel

Here's how it works: To draw something in Cairo you must create a cairo "surface". There are several functions to do this, namely (not sure if I got the names exactly right):
- cairo_xlib_create_surface(...)
- cairo_glitz_create_surface(...)

Gtk+ only contains code to call the Xlib version - it's not that the glitz code is hidden or commented out, it hasn't even been written yet. Unfortunately it's not as simple as just changing the function name - first you have to create a Glitz context, etc etc....

It's not that bad, however - Cairo still uses Xrender for acceleration. Unfortunately most drivers don't do Xrender acceleration very well. If you have an nVidia card, their binary drivers work great for Xrender as long as you explicitly turn it on in xorg.conf. Cairo stuff is at least as fast for me as its Xlib equivalent. Unfortunately, users of other cards appear to be out of luck for now.

I do hope the Gtk+ folks add support for Glitz soon, however. They originally said they weren't going to, and instead rely on Xgl/Xegl. Now that development on Xgl has halted, it'd be unfortunate if they did this.
madbiker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I was using cairo 1.0.0-r2 instead of the cvs, and opening a new cairo window was incredibly slow.

Grabbed the cairo cvs, make and make install, but how do I tell if I'm using it? Or how do I switch to it? Or is there an ebuild?
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rel wrote:
infiniteedge wrote:

Think that you use gtk+ 2.6 with gnome 2.10, in order to use cairo you should get gtk+ 2.8 and its dependancies including the cairo package.
After this you should be able to install the new engine.
clearlooks-cairo is only available in CVS and thus you'd have to perform the steps above in this post.

couldn't resist making a http://members.home.nl/relic/screenie.jpg

lol .. dude i just to leave in Holland a few years a go ... nice screen shot specially for the "veronica" tv chanell showing up :) Hup! Rotterdam!

ohh by the way i will try it now ;)
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infiniteedge wrote:

There are installation instructions on the wiki.
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I just decided to give clearlooks-cairo a try and in my opinion it seems a lot faster than the regular clearlooks. Windows and menus seem to draw faster. I'm using cairo-1.0.2 right now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: