View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panda Man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: desktop env. through tarball Reply with quote

i recently installed gentoo 2005.1... and i decided to set up my desktop environment with xfce4. My question is, since i don't have an internet question, will extracting the tarball from a CD be the same as emerging it? or is there something else that i need to do... thnx in advance!
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do as the manual says (the networkless install part) and you'll be fine. Providing the xfce4 package is included on the package cd that is.
Panda Man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pithlit wrote:
Just do as the manual says (the networkless install part) and you'll be fine. Providing the xfce4 package is included on the package cd that is.

weird, i didn't see it there.... i was just going off of what i already knew... and the desktop part of the manual pointed me to an online sity, and seeing as how i don't have internet access on the comp that im installing this on.
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The install manual refferes to the networkless install as GRP install (and the manual is included on the install CD). I don't have a package CD around so I can't check what it includes... The important thing with doing a GRP install is NOT to do an emerge sync and NOT editing the use flags in make.conf.

The way around this would be to dl the source files you need on a comp with net access, burn them on a cd (dvd) and copy them into /usr/portage/distfiles on your comp.

*edit* xfce4 is included on the 2005.0 package cd... I can't find the 2005.1 package cd listing tho, but I'm pretty sure it's included.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: