View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mycroes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Kiosk-like p120 laptop Reply with quote

I have a p120 laptop, slow as a snail but it works... Now I want to set it up for ppl to browser just one website. The site is written with php, but as it's just one day that it's needed I will be generating static html pages so it doesn't need to also run apache and some more stuff that will only slow it down.

So far so good. Now the real problems come... I'd like to be it a bit fast... I know it's a p120, but I don't want it to take 3 minutes to load a page. Furthermore it has to be secure, my idea was a simple X session that will only load the browser, then the problem is that when the browser is closed the X session will stop, so I don't want ppl to be able to close the browser. Also they don't need right click abilities, so my idea was to xmodmap the right mouse button to something else so it just doesn't know about right mouse buttons anymore. Last but not least I want the laptop to go to the introduction page after a certain amount of unused time, instead of starting something like xscreensaver.

If I would be using firefox I don't think the last thing will be a problem, also with other browsers I don't think it'll be a real problem. But is it smart to use firefox? I also need to use X because the laptop is so damn bitchy it won't even run a 2.6 kernel, and vesafb is not supported by the video card. The video card however is supported by X, it even has it's own driver so that won't be much of a problem.

So what is best to use in my situation? Are there any projects really aimed at this kind of stuff, without taking up more resources than necessary? Or should I use something like links2 and also map all the keyboard keys to useless keys? :lol:
Greetings,

Michael
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: