View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Problem Rebooting and Init Reply with quote

Hi,

I am having i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

At the moment every time i use reboot or init 0\6, my computer close the programs, show a blank screen but dont reboot or shut down. I dont know and I also dont know where to go and fix it. I can only say that in the past it did worked and I ask before some time from a friend of my to fix me something with the reboot program so also the users could reboot and not only the root.

If someone could quit me where to get the information to paste here so people could help me solving this problem i would be very glad.

Thanks

Eagle
qeldroma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..did you try it from console? Because under X11, it is often the case, that the screen goes black while he is rebooting in behind. And that can take some time, if the setup ist complex..

Try to switch to console <ctrl><alt><f1> and press <ctrl><alt><del> then...
Now he should do a init 6 (restart)...
Eagle_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past it worked fine from the X11 and from the consle.

I uselly try from a Terminal, thats how it used to work. I also once left my computer woirking for few hours and nothing. It was still not rebooting or shout down. I cant move to consule mode because my keybord is not define properly (I think its called unicode), i tried to fix it once but i leaved it. I have not just one problem, but some are more importent then others and we use linux because things are not easy here...:)

Thanks, but this is not the case (I think)
qeldroma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in console, you could see, what is happening then...
Normally, you see something like "going to runlevel 6" and after that you can see the work in progress. Perhaps he just stops in shutting down a special service, so you need only to check out this service then?

Greets, Qeldroma
Eagle_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try different kernel, 2.6.10 and everything work good. The computer was able to shut it self down and also to reboot. I also had <Cont><Alt>Fn> working.

I made the update kernel 2.6.12-9 and the reboot and init 0 work fine but i dont have <Cont><Alt><Fn>

Can someone please explain me the connection between init and kernal? It would be also nice to understand the conection to <Cont><Alt><Fn>, so i could fix it.

Thanks

Eagle
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: