View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herlock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Can't Compile Hal-0.5.4 and nautilus-cd-burner Reply with quote

Hello, I'm trying to compile gnome 2.12 and hal is one of the depencies.
When Hal is is compiling, i have this error:
Code:
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77/html/../common/dbtable.dsl:224:13:E: 2nd argument for primitive "ancestor" of wrong type: "#<unknown object 137183552>" not a singleton node list
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77/html/../common/dbtable.dsl:224:13:E: 2nd argument for primitive "ancestor" of wrong type: "#<unknown object 137183552>" not a singleton node list
jade:E: cannot find "../../fdi/20freedesktop/jetflash-mp3-player.fdi"; tried "../../fdi/20freedesktop/jetflash-mp3-player.fdi", "/usr/share/sgml/../../fdi/20freedesktop/jetflash-mp3-player.fdi"
jade:E: cannot find "../../fdi/20freedesktop/sony_dsc.fdi"; tried "../../fdi/20freedesktop/sony_dsc.fdi", "/usr/share/sgml/../../fdi/20freedesktop/sony_dsc.fdi"
jade:E: cannot find "../../fdi/20freedesktop/6in1-card-reader.fdi"; tried "../../fdi/20freedesktop/6in1-card-reader.fdi", "/usr/share/sgml/../../fdi/20freedesktop/6in1-card-reader.fdi"
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77/html/dblink.dsl:203:1:E: XRef LinkEnd to missing ID 'device-properties-storage'
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77/html/dblink.dsl:203:1:E: XRef LinkEnd to missing ID 'properties-policy'
jade:E: cannot find "../../fdi/90defaultpolicy/storage-policy.fdi"; tried "../../fdi/90defaultpolicy/storage-policy.fdi", "/usr/share/sgml/../../fdi/90defaultpolicy/storage-policy.fdi"
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77/html/dblink.dsl:203:1:E: XRef LinkEnd to missing ID 'using-devices'
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77/html/dblink.dsl:203:1:E: XRef LinkEnd to missing ID 'properties-policy'
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.77/html/dblink.dsl:203:1:E: XRef LinkEnd to missing ID 'stor-vol-policy'
make[3]: *** [hal-spec.html] Erreur 8
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/hal-0.5.4/work/hal-0.5.4/doc/spec'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/hal-0.5.4/work/hal-0.5.4/doc'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/hal-0.5.4/work/hal-0.5.4'
make: *** [all] Erreur 2

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/hal-0.5.4 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 74, Exitcode 2
!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

I have an error with nautilus-cd-burner too:
Code:

n.so /usr/lib/libORBitCosNaming-2.so /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so -lm /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so -lpthread /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/lib/libhal.so /usr/lib/libpopt.so /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so -lnsl
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5-20050130/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: libdbus-1.so.0, needed by /usr/lib/libhal.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_get_boolean'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_free_string'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_device_unlock'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_get_string_array'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_append_nil'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_device_get_property_bool'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_get_double'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_append_uint64'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_append_boolean'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_free_string_array'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_device_property_exists'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_ctx_set_dbus_connection'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_device_lock'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_init_dict_iterator'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_get_uint64'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_device_get_property_int'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_find_device_by_capability'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_ctx_init'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_ctx_free'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_append_int32'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_get_dict_key'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_get_int32'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_ctx_new'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_append_string'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_append_double'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_device_get_property_string'
/usr/lib/libhal.so: undefined reference to `dbus_message_iter_get_string'
./.libs/libnautilus-burn.so: undefined reference to `libhal_manager_find_device_string_match'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [nautilus-cd-burner] Erreur 1
make[2]: *** Attente des tches non termines....
(cd .libs && rm -f libnautilus-burn-extension.la && ln -s ../libnautilus-burn-extension.la libnautilus-burn-extension.la)
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/nautilus-cd-burner-2.12.0/work/nautilus-cd-burner-2.12.0'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/nautilus-cd-burner-2.12.0/work/nautilus-cd-burner-2.12.0'
make: *** [all] Erreur 2

!!! ERROR: gnome-extra/nautilus-cd-burner-2.12.0 failed.
!!! Function gnome2_src_compile, Line 48, Exitcode 2
!!! compile failure
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Have you got any ideas?
Vitaliy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not 100% but I believe removing the old version of HAL (emerge -C hal) and removing HAL directory in /etc fix's the problem with compiling HAL. That is what I had to do, yesterday actually, to fix this.

Once again, I am not too sure about this and perhaps someone can back me up or provide a better solution.
herlock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it doensn't work...

Does somebody have any other idea?
That's weird, I read message from people wich Hal has perfectly compiled (very sorry for bad english)
Bigneotux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try emerge docbook-dsssl-stylesheets libxslt
herlock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigneotux wrote:
try emerge docbook-dsssl-stylesheets libxslt

it doesn't work...

Code:
*  dev-libs/libxslt
      Latest version available: 1.1.15
      Latest version installed: 1.1.15
      Size of downloaded files: 1,780 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.xmlsoft.org/
      Description: XSLT libraries and tools
      License:     MIT
*  app-text/docbook-dsssl-stylesheets
      Latest version available: 1.79
      Latest version installed: 1.79
      Size of downloaded files: 271 kB
      Homepage:    http://docbook.sourceforge.net/projects/dsssl/index.html
      Description: DSSSL Stylesheets for DocBook.
      License:     as-is
manucorrales
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on a full ~x86 system or just installing unstable gnome??

I have to upgrade some other packages in ~x86 to compile gnome correctly
herlock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manucorrales wrote:
Are you on a full ~x86 system or just installing unstable gnome??

I have to upgrade some other packages in ~x86 to compile gnome correctly

I'm only installing unstable gnome. Wich packages are you talking about ?
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like one of the complex dependency version mismatches that could appear when trying to mix ~x86 packages in an otherwise pure x86 system.

Of course I've been ~x86 since day one in Gentoo, and have no personal experience with this, but I've read about things like this on the forum for quite a while. I suppose huge packages like gnome would be far more likely to cause trouble than smaller stand-alone items.

Of course "my idea" would be to just go ahead and go pure ~x86, and be done with it. :wink:

I would think that if one gradually tries to include more and more ~x86 package versions on an x86 system, there would be more and more problems cropping up.

In my case, being pure ~x86 on several different boxes, I rarely have an problems anyway, and when I have, I've always been able to resolve them with very little trouble. IMHO, being pure ~x86 would seem to be less trouble than trying to keep a mixed x86/~x86 system sorted out though a long procession of emerge -uD system && emerge -uD worlds.

Just my 2 cents.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
herlock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. But know I have a very lot of packages installed on my box and I'm afraid if I go pure ~x86 now (without installing the complete system) i'll have a lot of trouble by the update of each packages.

And now I have no time to reinstall my complete box and make some backup. So I'll wait for the stable packages of Gnome and i'll reinstall my system later.

Anyway, thank a lot for your answears, and sorry for my bad english.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference, going from x86 to ~x86 is pretty straightforward- all you need do is edit /etc/make.conf (uncomment and change to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86") under the Advanced Masking section. Then you can run emerge -e system TWICE in a row. The first run brings in the new "system" and "toolchain" packages, and the second run recompiles the system again. but this time using the new updated system packages to recompile themselves. (After you do the first emerge -e system, you might consider adjusting your cflags, as gcc 3.4.4 offers better performance and more options). After the two emerge -e system runs, then you can run emerge -e world to bring in any other updated packages, and everything will be compiled with the new system, which has been compiled with itself.

Keep in mind that with ~x86 set, with the emerge -e world run, you might run into a few problems, so be prepared to use "emerge --resume --skipfirst" (no quotes), and then you can sort out things for the failed package later. This is rarely a big problem, and the few packages that might "fail" aren't actually "broken"- it just means you are still using the older version until you can figure out the problem. I find that emerge -e system runs nearly always complete OK with ~x86.

Also keep in mind that ~x86 isn't for everybody, and you need to know pretty much what you are doing to maintain such cutting edge systems, and be prepared to sort out the occasional compiling problem. Most times, Gentoo bugzilla or the forum will already have a solution posted, but once in a while a new ~x86 package or ebuild will just not be ready, and you'll have to wait, using the older version until it's fixed. (Of course this also happens with x86 "stable" too.)

Some users don't mind doing this, and to have the latest system possible accept it as just part of the drill. Other users are perfectly satisfied with x86 "stable," which is fine too. Personally, I find running exclusively Gentoo ~x86 systems has been less trouble than any other linux distro I've ever used before, rpm or source based. Of course as always, YMMV on your hardware. Also, I should mention that I'm just running home desktop systems, always keep current backups of important data, and nobody else is depending on my systems to never have even a minor problem. I certainly wouldn't recommend ~x86 for mission critical business environments, but if you're a home desktop computer enthusiast, it's a reasonable option.

One other point to consider:
Going from x86 to ~x86 is no real problem, but the reverse is not true, and not recommended. If you go ~x86, and then find later it's not for you, you will probably need to reinstall from scratch. In any case, always backup important data first.
herlock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thank you for your complete answear. So when i have time, i'll try to go in ~x86 whithout reinstall the system.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention something very important. After you finish emerge -e system, you will have to do an etc-update, which will have many files to update- much more than normally would need updating. This is because you have updated your entire system to ~x86 packages.

Be very careful, and don't blindly update files that might not really need it, like fstab, group, make.conf, rc.conf, and some things in /etc/conf.d that don't need it, and generally anything you are sure you have modified manually yourself. With files you HAVE edited before, be very careful and compare the new version with the old and select your option from the choices in etc-update.

VERY IMPORTANT:
The basic rule with etc-update is to update things you know you haven't edited before, and back up at least your /etc directory, so that if you do mess up, you can revert to a file that worked before.

There is also dispatch-config you can use instead of etc-update- it makes backups of the files for you. You might feel better using that, but you need to read up on it, and set it up yourself (look on forum for details).

If you are careful, etc-update is safe- you just need to follow the basic rule, and know a little about what you are doing. You have to keep the /etc files updated, otherwise you will have trouble. At first it seems complex, especially if you have 50-75 files to go through, but after a few times, it will become second nature.
menace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been getting the exact same error trying to emerge hal.

I am ~x86 for a very long time so i doubt that i should fall into the "mixing ~x86 with x86" category.

I tried downgrading docbook-dssl-stylesheets to 1.77 (from 1.79) but the problem persists.
esearch -I -S xml and esearch -I -S sgml reveal that i have the latest versions installed of all related ebuilds.

Does anyone have an idea as to what is at fault here?

(i have emerged hal with -doc USE flag but that is not a proper solution)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: