View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Conky And Fvwm [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello,

One problem has been driving me nuts, and that is swallowing Conky (version 1.3.0, tried 1.3.1 as well) into a little corner of my desktop inside a FvwmButtons. It displays for a second, then disappears. I can make it stay longer before disappearing if I use the -u switch and set 10 seconds, then it stays for 10 seconds. This should imply that it has problems updating itself within the FvwmButton.

I've tried with and without xft, with and without double buffer. I've configured Conky to only display a tiny bif of info to make it fit inside the FvwmButton. Putting other applications inside the same FvwmButton is not a problem either. I've tried Torsmo as well, they are mostly built with the same code(?) so since both have the same problem, maybe it's related to some buildtime/code bug?

Emerging either of them was not troublesome at all. I'm using the "un"stable gcc-3.4.4, maybe that can be a problem for Conky? although I've not had any problem with any other application. I tried building them for pentium3 and pentium4 instead of pentium-m, but that did not help.

I even got a working fvwm config from someone else doing exactly this, and that did not help either. So I suppose nothing is wrong with my fvwm config, using the latest fvwm version by the way (2.5.12). I've certainly tried everything except using a different gcc version as far as I can tell. Frustrating, maybe someone knows a really good replacement for Conky/Torsmo? I already know of xosview.

Otherwise I'm hoping someone has run into a similar problem and found a solution which I've failed to do yet.

EDIT: With the help of the guys at the Fvwm forums this problem is almost solved. Well, more like a hack. Conky is the issue and we're finding a workaround with Fvwm commands. It turns out that Conky is indeed having trouble updating itself inside the FvwmButton, but if you resize the window it re-appears magically.

EDIT: It's solved by automatically resizing the window which swallows conky, this is far from a good solution. If the Conky dev reads this, could you look into it? I am swallowing conky into a fvwm button window sized to 200x50 pixels.

EDIT: Solved it with a much cleaner method now. Using "alignment top_left" solves the problem entirely without the need to resize the window. Woohoo! Credit goes to ctg of the fvwm forums.

Last edited by Aonoa on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference to others, here is the actual code taking care of this:

Code:
DestroyFunc StartFunction
AddToFunc StartFunction
+ I Module FvwmButtons -g ***x***+***-*** FvwmConky
+ I Wait FvwmConky
+ I Schedule 1000 Next (FvwmConky) Resize ***p ***p

Just replace the asterisks with your desired pixel size and coordinates.

EDIT: This method is now deprecated, but kept if it could be needed for others. See above post.
Wart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on switching to FVWM.. One of the things I was thinking as I was configuring everything, is that it'd be awesome to have it swallowed.. Started searching found this.. Only problem is.. What's the correct way to do it now?
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wart wrote:
Working on switching to FVWM.. One of the things I was thinking as I was configuring everything, is that it'd be awesome to have it swallowed.. Started searching found this.. Only problem is.. What's the correct way to do it now?

You'd need FvwmButtons for that. Here's a contrived example for which you would have to customise (I don't use conky, so)....

Code:

DestroyModuleConfig FB: *
*FB:  Rows 2
*FB:  Columns 2
*FV:  (1x1, Swallow (UseOld, NoKill, Respawn) "conky" "Exec exec conky -options -options")

Module FvwmButtons FB

-- Thomas Adam
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: