Reboot required after installation?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reboot required after installation? Reply with quote

Good morning,

I was wondering if the reboot after the installation of Gentoo is required? Because I'm using SSH and when I would reboot the PC it would boot from CD and SSH wouldn't automagically start. Also, if there were some kind of tray unload command, the BIOS would load the CD tray again upon startup anyways.
While I'm at work, it would be cool if I could just compile some packages without that reboot.

And a little extra extra question: I read some stuff about 2005.1 installations being 'broken', because the stage 3 tarballs had wrong permissions. I wonder if this is fixed on the mirrors already?

Have a nice day :)
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reboot required after installation? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm using SSH and when I would reboot the PC it would boot from CD and SSH wouldn't automagically start.

Right.
Quote:
Also, if there were some kind of tray unload command,

Other than eject?
Quote:
the BIOS would load the CD tray again upon startup anyways.

Yes.
Quote:
While I'm at work, it would be cool if I could just compile some packages without that reboot.

No problem.
Quote:
And a little extra extra question: I read some stuff about 2005.1 installations being 'broken', because the stage 3 tarballs had wrong permissions. I wonder if this is fixed on the mirrors already?

Not sure, but just "chmod 755 /" if you are concerned (that's the fix, and it's perfectly safe).
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!

I feel sometimes a but silly to ask these little questions. :oops:
Ph0eniX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Reboot required after installation? Reply with quote

t0maz wrote:
Good morning,

I was wondering if the reboot after the installation of Gentoo is required?

I'm not sure you understand the concept. When you're installing Gentoo, you're most likely running it from the CD. Once the system is installed, you want to boot off the hard drive - no? If you want SSH to start automatically when you reboot, then simply type:

Code:

rc-update add sshd default

I hope I understood your post correctly.
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CD is in the drive, and he has no way to remove it. The livecd will boot again, and sshd will not be started.
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion Ph0eniX, but Dlareh is right. I was at work while the PC I was installing it on was at home, so I had no way to remove the CD from the tray. If I would reboot, the CD would boot again and no SSH would be started.

I installed a whole bunch of packages while not rebooting and it seems to have just worked fine.
paulbarker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need to reboot to get the new kernel (that you built towards the end of the handbook) running rather than the kernel on the CD. This is not a problem for emerge's and since your using ssh i can't see why you would try to run X. The short answer is you'll have to reboot to do anything fancy (like X) or that requires access to some piece of hardware that the livecd doesn't support.
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need a reboot to run X, and it will work just fine via ssh.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: