Installing Gentoo SOLVED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanJo68
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo SOLVED Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been trying for the last year to set-up Gentoo on various platforms however have never really managed to get a complete working system going. Always had problems with sound, networking, etc all normally hardware driver issues being the root cause.

Unfortunately, I have gone back to XP as my Linux/Gentoo knowledge was quite obviously not good enough however I have a spare DELL Inspiron 8000 Laptop and also an HP laptop that I would like to install Gentoo on so as to learn a little more and not f-up may main system whilst doing so.

I see that there is a way to let someone remotely set-up the installation and I was wondering if anyone would be prepared to help me with this?

Laptop1 - Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop: Pentium III 900 mhz, 500 mb RAM, 19 GB HDD, ATI mobility rage graphics card, firewire, cd-rw, and dvd speler and floppy drive (these use a modular bay)

Laptop2 - HP nc 4010 laptop which doesn't have a floppy or CD drive, but is a Pentium 4M, 500 GB ram 40GB HDD.

Cheers

Last edited by DanJo68 on Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

If you're really interested in learning to work with Gentoo, don't ask anyone else to install it for you! Do it yourself.
You should follow the Gentoo Handbook and use the forums to ask questions during the installation or use the #gentoo IRC channel in the Freenode network to ask for help.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll find anybody that wants to do this. Just follow the handbook and the wiki howto's and post here if something goes wrong.
DanJo68
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I've been dicking around with it for the last year.... maybe GENTOO is just not for me. I find the handbook bloated with too much garbage which just confuses the process. It does not explain things very clearly or should I say not clearly enough to me. The base GENTOO system is excellent and extremely fast but as soon as I start with trying to install graphical desktops everything just fucks up. I find that there is always something that doesn't work. Network, Video, Sound to name but a few. I appreciate that this is mainly due to hardware vendors not providing code but at the end of the day I want a base system with a graphical desktop with the flexibilty of something like GENTOO, and above all, something that works. I have only once managed to get Gentoo installed with Gnome, but lost networking and never managed to get sound working plus a heap of other problems. After being on holiday I ran an update only to find that I should have done something else first as certain file locations had been changed.

I find the forum very helpful but even so it takes days and sometimes weeks to get any further. The reason I was looking for someone to set it up was to try and take away the pain of the last few months and at least get a system up and running fairly quickly so that I can continue with day to day tasks and then practice Linux... Oh well not to be.
ProPilot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know how you feel - been there - doing that
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owkey.... you're definatly doing things totally wrong, go with Ubuntu or so.
DanJo68
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, temporary fit of frustration........ more with my own incompetance than with the system :twisted:.

Probably a good idea but then again I'm a stubborn ar**. I've set my mind on Gentoo as I've seen someone running a GENTOO system and it was SH!T HOT!!!!!; I'll just keep playing with the laptop until It's done. I'm sure I'll get there in the end and eventually be able to upgrade my Main system from XP to Gentoo in the future..... It's like anything; too impatient to read properly, just want to get stuck in and expect everything to be hunky dory...... Instead patience is required and a better understanding of what I am doing :roll:
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanJo68,

have you taken a look at the Gentoo Desktop Documentation Resources? This includes documents on X Server configuration, nVidia Guide, ATI FAQ, KDE configuration, Gnome Configuration and many other guides including the ALSA Guide.
We can't assure you response times, but I can assure you that I will try to answer your questions. Keep them coming! :wink:

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
DanJo68
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the patience.... Have done a stage 2 install on the laptop - Base system OK. Emerged Gnome + a load of other stuff and it's working GREAT!!!! The PIII laptop running GENTOO finished 45 mins ahead of the P4 desktop running XP whilst doing a 3 hr encoding excercise. Impressive.

Thanks again
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: