Need help on no networking stage 3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaming4JC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Need help on no networking stage 3 Reply with quote

Hello,
I really need help the handbook is too geeky I just want a simple pc with no network other than a modem so i can get online but i don't even care of that right now.

I want 5 easy steps plz to install it & btw when i enter the handbook thats supposedly on the cd its says error not found.
Please help me do this as esy as possible & perferably today so plz reply. :)
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then gentoo is not for you.
http://ubuntu.org

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
frayedknot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you are looking for 5 easy steps, gentoo is not for you then.

We need more details, what kind of modem do you have? Modems can be a bit tricky in linux, hopefully you have a hardware modem.

As for the handbook, you are going to have to follow that, unless someone has dumbed it down a bit, but in my opinion it's not very hard at all. please remember if you want to use gentoo, or any other linux distro for that fact, get used to reading.
Gaming4JC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: ummm... Reply with quote

okay okay I'll do it cuz ubuntoo is kinda dull.
But what am i supposed to type to start stage three without networking when the on CD handbook is currupt :( :cry:
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the online 2005.1 handbook. Print it out if you want.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
frayedknot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try here

if it is corrupt on the cd, try a new cd, or save this networkless handbook to a flash drive, cd, or something like that.
Gaming4JC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: well okay but... Reply with quote

Hello again,
What am I supposed to follow... you see it says setup a network first is thier one where i don't have to do that plz give me a nice linky :D I'm a killer NOOB i know but plz try and explain somethings here, I've installed ubuntoo & pink tie linux before but this one is a little different(and better if i can get it running :roll:).

Edit thnx your nicer than the mod. sry no need to be rude, but i just needed a little info.
Gaming4JC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: don't mean to bump.. Reply with quote

Hi, I don't mean to be rude but that link isn't found go ahead & click it.
dead link :!:
paulbarker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a version of the handbook at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.1/handbook-x86.xml that covers networkless installation but please take a step back for a minute and decide whether gentoo linux is the correct choice for you. The documentation is brilliant and from what I gather noob's are also saying this (I have a lot of experience with linux), but you really do have to read it and follow it. For a first time install please follow the handbook to the letter, then you can customise things after install. You may be better spending some time learning another linux distro and coming back to gentoo when you have some more experience.

My personal advice is to use Mandriva Linux, since it is very very noob friendly and I use it on my other machine for variety. I also strongly suggest you buy a book describing linux and how to use it (maybe get it second hand or from a clearance bookshop). With gentoo you are really jumping in at the deep end but I'm sure if you are willing to put a lot of effort into learning things you can install gentoo without going for another distro first, I'm just showing you the easy way.

I hope this helps,
Paul Barker
Gaming4JC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: thnx :) Reply with quote

Hello Paul,
Thanks very much for answering your post with some kindness. I'll try to figure this out, thnx for all of your help :D :wink:

Gaming4JC :)
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: don't mean to bump.. Reply with quote

Gaming4JC wrote:
Hi, I don't mean to be rude but that link isn't found go ahead & click it.
dead link :!:

Hi.

Yes there's a small problem with the link. You don't know http too well, do you? You just have to remove the final / and you get the proper link
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.1/index.xml

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped some ">>", "<<", "plz" and "!" from the subject. See the guidelines.
Gaming4JC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: HELP! Reply with quote

hello,
what must i do for the easiest rout suppose i don't want a network have one blank already Fdisked hardrive & one 98SE windows hardrive now where do i start? plz try to explain it as easy as possible my brain is getting dizzy...
opqdan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The various posters have tried to tell you the easiest route. That route is to try another distribution. I think Gentoo is the best distro for me, but you seem to want something that is simple to install and networkless. Gentoo is neither of these things. It takes a long time (up to 2-3 days to even get a desktop environment working), and pretty much requires a network connection. I also gather from you nick and your avatar that you are a fairly heavy gamer, thus I would think long and hard about using Linux, most games just aren't made to run on Linux and wine support is pretty poor. If you really play games as much as is implied, then I suggest sticking to Windows.

I'm not trying to discourage you if this is something that you really want to do, but think long and hard about the consequences of your decision. You'll be spending many nights trying to solve problems for the simplest things, and some may never get fixed.

If you decide you want to trudge through it, then I suggest reading the manual a couple times before you start. Then you should know what you have to do at the LiveCD command prompt.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaming4JC,

Read the handbook cover to cover. It really is all there.
If you don't understand something, ask specific questions here. For a Gentoo install, thats as easy as it gets.

There is one small change you need to make to the handbook. It assumes you are installing on /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3.
You won't be doing that, since you already have windows on /dev/hda.
You will need to adjust the handbook references to suit your fdisked spare drive.

If you continue with Gentoo, I'm sure we will see you here some more, if not, then good luck with whatever distro you settle on.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: