Backup to new Hard Drive
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buchalka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Backup to new Hard Drive Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm running Gentoo with a dual boot to Windows XP Pro for a few apps that I can't get working under Wine. I have 2 x 200GB ATA drives, but I want to migrate over to 2 x new 300GB SATA drives.

I'm assuming that SATA support is built into my kernel version (what do I need to achieve this, although it should not be that hard to figure out).
The real problem is how do I go about copying the data from the old drives to the new ones.

I upgraded a few years back and just manually created partitions and used rsync to copy all files and this worked very well for linux partitions, but now I've got a windows partition to consider as well.

I'm aware of utilities like Symantec's Ghost and Partition Magic, but don't really want to buy commercial software if I can help it, also as I wil be getting 50% more hard drive space, I want to resize the partitions at the same time.

Any suggestions for the best way to tackle this?

Thanks

Tim
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Linux partitions I use tar archives for backup. But rsync is similar. For Windows on NTFS you could use dd to copy the whole partition to the new disk. But Windows has some issues with disk geometry and partition size, so there is no way telling if a direct copied windows partition will work on a bigger drive (I would not bet on it). There are some tools for windows and linux (some free ones too), that claim to copy data from one partition to a bigger one even for ntfs, but I never tried one of those.
bjd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that SATA drives are referenced as sdx, so you may have to alter fstab & grub/lilo before booting. SATA drivers are under "Device Drivers" in menuconfig, at work now so can't double check exactly where. Windows may have issues with drivers too, unless its changed recently SATA drivers aren't included as standard. That caught me out a few months ago when reinstalling Win2000 as my floppy drive was dead and Windows refused to look anywhere else for drivers.

Hope that helps :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: