View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickben24
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: X Randomly freezing? ATI to blame? Reply with quote

Hello,
It seems that the x server is randomly crashing, im left with all my apps still running(ie music still playing in rhythmbox) and mouse still moving, but i cant do anything gui related (except move the mouse). its only happened since i installed the ati drivers. they installed correctly, but i cant think of another reason for this. is there a way to uninstall the drivers? are there any recommended alternatives? i dont really play 3d games in linux, so im not worried about losing that.
peace
thanks
ben
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: X Randomly freezing? ATI to blame? Reply with quote

slickben24 wrote:
Hello,
It seems that the x server is randomly crashing, im left with all my apps still running(ie music still playing in rhythmbox) and mouse still moving, but i cant do anything gui related (except move the mouse). its only happened since i installed the ati drivers. they installed correctly, but i cant think of another reason for this. is there a way to uninstall the drivers? are there any recommended alternatives? i dont really play 3d games in linux, so im not worried about losing that.
peace
thanks
ben

Well, if you either have an older ATI card or don't need GLX you can always use the open source drivers instead of the tainted binaries from ATI. That set aside, I'd say it's not the drivers. There are lots of threads concerning X problems, and I had those myself on different systems (without ATI, mostly...). On the other hand I have three ATI-based systems with ATI's binary drivers running for months without problems.

Relieve yourself a bit by searching for "x freezes" or "x lockup" or such ... LOTS of stuff :/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: