View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Portage wants to downgrade DBUS and HAL and Sun-JDK Reply with quote

I am a user of package.unmask and package.keywords, and have pulled in the masked versions of dbus, hal, and Sun-JDK, but whenever i do a emerge -pv uD world it tries to downgrade hal, dbus and Sun-JDK

Code:

[ebuild     UD] sys-apps/hal-0.4.7-r2 [0.5.4] -debug -doc -pam_console -pcmcia 0 kB
[ebuild     UD] sys-apps/dbus-0.23-r3 [0.36.2] +X -debug +gtk +python +qt +xml2 0 kB
[ebuild    FU ] dev-java/sun-jdk-1.5.0.05 [1.5.0.04] +browserplugin -doc -jce +mozilla 47,691 kB
[ebuild  NSF  ] dev-java/sun-jdk-1.4.2.09  +browserplugin -doc -jce +mozilla 35, 575 kB

Code:

Portage 2.0.51.22-r2 (default-linux/x86/2005.1, gcc-3.4.4, glibc-2.3.5-r1, 2.6.14-rc1-vivid2 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.14-rc1-vivid2 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.50GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.13
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5, 2.4.1-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.12
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.18-r1
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -pipe -O2 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=sse,387 -msse2 -mmmx"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/splash /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -pipe -O2 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=sse,387 -msse2 -mmmx -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig candy ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://gentoo.seren.com/gentoo http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apm arts artworkextra avi berkdb bitmap-fonts browserplugin bzip2 cairo cddb cdr ck-plus crypt cups curl dbus divx4linux eds emboss encode esd fbcon ffmpeg firefox foomaticdb fortran gcj gdbm gif glitz gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal howl imagemagick imlib java javascript jpeg junit kde kdeenablefinal libg++ libwww mad mikmod mmx mono motif mozilla mp3 mpeg nautilus ncurses nls nptl nvidia ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl pic png python qt quicktime readline real samba sdl spell sse sse2 ssl tcpd threads tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts vorbis win32codecs xine xml2 xmms xv xvid zeroconf zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS

tkdfighter
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage wants to downgrade because you're using experimental software, and if a serious bug is found, the developers hardmask that version until the bug is fixed. When you emerge -uD world, it then downgrades. If you only want portage to upgrade, use emerge -UD world.

Personally, I try to stick with the stable branch, using ~x86 only if I really want a certain package. Also, I have never used emerge -UD world, as I think it's not really that smart to neglace bugs like that, but that's just my 2 cents. :wink:
DecayCell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens because there were API changes between minor versions of HAL and DBus, and stable packages can only work with the stable APIs. You should emerge updated versions of the packages that require the downgrades.
emerge -pvuDt world will tell you who's the culprit.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am running Gnome 2.12 and my wife is running KDE 3.5, both of which work quite will with the new HAL & DBUS. So you are saying that there is a package that I have that depends on earlier versions of HAL & DBUS?
crudh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely some packages in your system need the old dbus and hal. You should try to locate them and compile them without the dbus and hal flags if possible.

Run "revdep-rebuild -p", it might tell you (check the output before the rebuild list too) which packages that need the old dbus and hal. You could also try and run "USE="-dbus -hal" emerge world --newuse -p" to get a list of all packages that uses dbus and hal and then try figuring out which ones that need the old versions. If you try and emerge -p them one by one the ones that need the old versions would try pulling them in.

About the JDK portage doesn't want to downgrade it, it wants to update it and install the old one slotted. So you can have them both but configure gentoo to set the new one as default with java-config.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crudh wrote:
Most likely some packages in your system need the old dbus and hal. You should try to locate them and compile them without the dbus and hal flags if possible.

Run "revdep-rebuild -p", it might tell you (check the output before the rebuild list too) which packages that need the old dbus and hal. You could also try and run "USE="-dbus -hal" emerge world --newuse -p" to get a list of all packages that uses dbus and hal and then try figuring out which ones that need the old versions. If you try and emerge -p them one by one the ones that need the old versions would try pulling them in.

About the JDK portage doesn't want to downgrade it, it wants to update it and install the old one slotted. So you can have them both but configure gentoo to set the new one as default with java-config.

Thank you very much, very helpful tip.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: