Kernel Recompile Woes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeChuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Kernel Recompile Woes Reply with quote

I'm trying to recompile my kernel, however I'm running into this problem. It seems to stop with the same error everytime. For the life of me cannot figure out whats wrong :( Heres the output at the crash point

Code:
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/include  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=athlon    -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ptrace  -c -o ptrace.o ptrace.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/include  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=athlon    -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=timer  -c -o timer.o timer.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/include  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=athlon    -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=user  -c -o user.o user.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/include  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=athlon    -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=signal  -c -o signal.o signal.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/include  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=athlon    -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=sys  -c -o sys.o sys.c
In file included from sys.c:7:
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/include/linux/module.h: In function `print_symbol':
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/include/linux/module.h:434: `ESRCH' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/include/linux/module.h:434: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/include/linux/module.h:434: for each function it appears in.)
sys.c: At top level:
sys.c:494: warning: static declaration for `set_user' follows non-static
make[2]: *** [sys.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/kernel'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-ck4/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running the command . . .

Code:
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

? It will remove any stale files using the "make clean" option. Beyond that simple guess give us some more information about what you are doing, is the error the exact same lines each time in the sys.c?

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
LeChuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Bonez, I haven't installed any as modules so I just use
Code:
make dep && make clean bzImage

I've tried doing both make mrproper and make clean but doesn't make a difference :? The errors are exacly the same everytime. What extra info do you need? :oops: :)
xuttuh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after you do a make mrproper you have to do a make menuconfig (or one of the others) to remake some of the config files, I learned that the hard way

Tim
LeChuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked out what it was. It seems if I disable "loadable module support" I get that error :( I don't use any modules and I have no need for module support on this machine so I normally have it disabled. Does anyone else have this problem if they disable "loadable module support"? Thanks.
tunguska
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeChuck wrote:
I worked out what it was. It seems if I disable "loadable module support" I get that error :( I don't use any modules and I have no need for module support on this machine so I normally have it disabled. Does anyone else have this problem if they disable "loadable module support"? Thanks.

me too! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: