Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Emerge Screwup, unusable system--HELP!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hilleh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Emerge Screwup, unusable system--HELP!!! Reply with quote

Hey, I'm currently typing this from lynx off of a gentoo livecd. Last night, I went to do a big emerge upgrade. Apparently, i had a cd mounted which stopped the baselayout upgrade from working correctly. When I woke up, I saw that it had failed, thought nothing of it and turned off my box. HUUUUGE mistake. I come home, and my system absolutely refuses to boot. it complains that it can't find something or other in the startup script and just will not boot at all. My question is, can I fix this by mounting my hd from the livecd and emerging everything back into goodness from here? If so, can you walk me through it? If not, what do I do? I don't really want to reformat because I have my Ut2k3 cd key entered in on this partition and I lost the bloody manual some time ago. Also, I just like my system the way it is. PLEASE HELP ME, ANYONE!!! Lynx is great and all, but i'd like a little more from my system ;).
thu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to mount your root partition, chroot to it then try to re-emerge what went wrong. That's not to say that it will fix everything but it's a start.
Also you might want to fsck the file system first, just to be sure.
Hilleh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm on my server now and using good ol' mozilla while I run an emerge system on my main box. It was bitching about not finding /proc, so I hope to god an emerge system will fix that. Thanks for your help, and with any luck things should work out smoothly.
Jarjar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe baselayout somehow killed your /etc/fstab? That would explain a lot (proc wouldn't be mounted, you should get a kernel panic when booting etc.).
Hilleh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'm back in action again. just re-emerged baselayout, and it bitched about not being able to find /proc, so i mkdir 'ed /proc in my root directory and all of a sudden it works again. And my mouse cursor suddenly has some cool transparency and shadowing. I'm not complaining!
Valheru
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilleh wrote:
And my mouse cursor suddenly has some cool transparency and shadowing. I'm not complaining!

That'd be KDE 3.1.1a I think ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: