Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Errors frustrating this newbie, requesting help.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koshia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Errors frustrating this newbie, requesting help. Reply with quote

Hey guys, I recently decided to play around with Linux and wanted to do Gentoo since I heard mostly good things about it. I downloaded the UNIVERSAL LIVE CD installation iso and poped it in. I even printed out 96 pages of the manual and followed step-by-step. Anyways, my errors come when I tried to "emerge gentoo-sources" and also later "emerge grub"... It isn't really installation error, but downloading error. It seems when it automatically run and downloads all the source files, it can't find one specific one and I have no clue how to go from there. I know one file is call "gentoo-patches-2.6.11.10" <-- close to that.. and the grub is something with grub.000093.bz2. AFter that, I just gave up. I am still trying to find out how to make it work.

If any of you guys could help me I would be very much appreciated of you. Also, I would liek to use Xfce interface instead of using grub if anyone can instruct me on how to install the latest version. I am also having wireless problem as I can not use any extension provided by the installation. Also wanting to Dual boot with Windows XP first.

System stats

Intel Centrino 2.0ghz
1.0 Gb RAM
533mhz
wireless (broadcom 2100,2200,2915) and giga LAN(realtek -- this i got it working so don't have to worry about)

Downloaded teh x86 version of gentoo distro
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing a networked install, or networkless install?

If you're doing networked install, (WITH internet connection) you have to emerge --sync right after chroot, otherwise portage will abort trying to download non-existant out-of-date files.

If you're doing networkless install (WITHOUT internet connection) you cannot emerge --sync, otherwise portage will abort trying to download files that are newer than the ones you unpacked from the install CD.
koshia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

I am trying to do a networkless install; however, when i tried "emerge portage" it looked for connection to download files SO i am assuming i did a network install. To my knowledge network or networkless... my LAN connection works fine when I ifconfig'ed it.

------------------------edit--------------------
so what you're telling me is i should type out "emerge --sync" and thend o emerge portage if i want to do network install? if this is what you mean I will give it a try. Do you know about installing the xfce interface then? because I thik i will jsut install xfce straight through instead of having to deal with gnome/kde.

Last edited by koshia on Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:55 am; edited 2 times in total
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Errors frustrating this newbie, requesting help. Reply with quote

koshia wrote:
Also, I would liek to use Xfce interface instead of using grub

What on earth are you drinking?! :lol:

Xfce is a graphical environment, Grub is a bootloader that helps to boot Gentoo.

Xfce cannot boot your computer, and Grub cannot act as a graphical environment.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: re: Reply with quote

koshia wrote:
i tried "emerge portage"

That is a good sign you are deviating from the handbook, which is a extremely bad idea.

Please follow the instructions in the handbook strictly and exactly when instructed to. Do not change the order of steps or skip any steps.

Do not make your 96 pages of printing paper worthless by not following the things printed therein.
koshia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Errors frustrating this newbie, requesting help. Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
koshia wrote:
Also, I would liek to use Xfce interface instead of using grub

What on earth are you drinking?! :lol:

Xfce is a graphical environment, Grub is a bootloader that helps to boot Gentoo.

Xfce cannot boot your computer, and Grub cannot act as a graphical environment.

Whoa there... I am on crack right now.. lol thanks for catchign that. I meant XFCE instead of GNOME .... lol both started with G i guess (feels stupid... fading into teh background... lets forget that i said grub lol)
koshia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: re: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
koshia wrote:
i tried "emerge portage"

That is a good sign you are deviating from the handbook, which is a extremely bad idea.

Please follow the instructions in the handbook strictly and exactly when instructed to. Do not change the order of steps or skip any steps.

Do not make your 96 pages of printing paper worthless by not following the things printed therein.

I strictly followed the manual command for command. It didn't tell me to do emerge --sync... just told me to do links2 http://gento mirror.xml page and download the stage3 files.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: re: Reply with quote

koshia wrote:
I strictly followed the manual command for command. It didn't tell me to do emerge --sync... just told me to do links2 http://gento mirror.xml page and download the stage3 files.

But there is no "emerge portage" command anywhere in the handbook. So you were doing something different.

Also, for networkless install, do not download any files from the internet. You're supposed to get all needed files from the Universal install CD.

And lastly, please make sure you've printed out and are reading the correct Gentoo handbook. There are two versions:

1. Gentoo Handbook - Latest version: This is not what you want! If you printed this out your networkless install will not succeed.
  2. 2005.1 Gentoo Handbooks: This is the version to use for networkless installs. You probably want the x86 multi-page version although I prefer x86 single page online reading version. If you want to print out this one, x86 printable single page version.
koshia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: re: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
koshia wrote:

But there is no "emerge portage" command anywhere in the handbook. So you were doing something different.

Also, for networkless install, do not download any files from the internet. You're supposed to get all needed files from the Universal install CD.

And lastly, please make sure you've printed out and are reading the correct Gentoo handbook. There are two versions:

1. Gentoo Handbook - Latest version: This is not what you want! If you printed this out your networkless install will not succeed.
  2. 2005.1 Gentoo Handbooks: This is the version to use for networkless installs. You probably want the x86 multi-page version although I prefer x86 single page online reading version. If you want to print out this one, x86 printable single page version.

will do, i'll try again hopefully succeeding it. If any of you could possible give me a site with instruction to install xfce right after this, i would be thankful as well. But for now, I will give this a try first. Thanks Kimchi (im eating some right now too)
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: re: Reply with quote

koshia wrote:
If any of you could possible give me a site with instruction to install xfce right after this, i would be thankful as well.

emerge xfce4 (Do not do this until after you have successfully rebooted.) :D
tesuo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello my fellow gentoo uisers.

I finally go the extra time to do something i have always wanted do. Install a Linux O.S. After some research I felt that Gentoo might be the one for me. I then downloaded the "UNIVERSAL LIVE CD installation iso" and poped it in. I even printed out 99 pages of the manual, followed step-by-step, and printed extra files when need more info. My errors come when I tried to "Extracting Portage Snapshot". It seems when I did the checking before it ran fine but when it came to actually get the image, it says "Cannot create directory '/mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles". I have no clue where to go from here. If any of you could help, I would be very happy

System stats

Intel Pentium III
Sony Vaio PCG-FX250
On a LAN and a Cable Modem

Downloaded x86 Gentoo Universal Iso
tesuo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: errors Reply with quote

Actually The first mistake is when is on code listing 13 : extracting aportage snapshot: Its asaying error exit delay from previous errors.. but i had none before this.
koshia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: errors Reply with quote

tesuo wrote:
Actually The first mistake is when is on code listing 13 : extracting aportage snapshot: Its asaying error exit delay from previous errors.. but i had none before this.

You typed this up as I was copying the dist files and for me, it copied from the cdrom to the /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles location find w/o any errors. Maybe you have a bad cd?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: errors Reply with quote

tesuo wrote:
Actually The first mistake is when is on code listing 13 : extracting aportage snapshot: Its saying
Code:
error exit delay from previous errors..
but i had none before this.

Did you remember to mount all your partitions before the chroot? / partition to /mnt/gentoo, /boot partition to /mnt/gentoo/boot, etc.
koshia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: New problem with XFCE Reply with quote

Hey Kimchi, I tried "emerging xfce4" and i get error

cc1: error: bad value (x86) for -march= switch
then something about png.o ERROR 1
!!!!ERROR: media-libs/libpng-1.2.8 failed
!!!!Function src_compile, line 50, Exitcode 2
!!!! emake failed

I know i have to switch my proc settings but any suggestion?

Mine is currently

CFLAGS="-march=x86 -pipe -02 -mcpu=i686"
GHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="-gtk -xfce qt xfce dvd alsa cdr"

What do i have to change and what to.

Also, in my boot file, I would like to make it boot up default screen size of 1024x768 and keep that through out the whole time while I work with linux. Currently my text are all large and it makes me feel like i'm blind. Would like to know how to change that, thanks a lot by the way, you've been very helpful.

---------------------------------------------------edit-----------------------------
Okay i fixed teh first one, i had to give x86 a space between equal sign and the x. Now i am clueless on the other errors.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: New problem with XFCE Reply with quote

koshia wrote:
Hey Kimchi, I tried "emerging xfce4" and i get error
Code:
cc1: error: bad value (x86) for -march= switch 

I know i have to switch my proc settings but any suggestion?

Mine is currently
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=x86 -pipe -02 -mcpu=i686"

What do i have to change and what to.

Okay i fixed teh first one, i had to give x86 a space between equal sign and the x.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

please refer to this page to find out acceptable values for -march in the CFLAGS.
koshia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

how about setting resolution sizes, color depth, etc...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: