View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Cannot edit Gnome application menu Reply with quote

I'm experiencing some very strange behavior with my Gnome menus. I tried adding my own custom launcher to the Application menu, but I can't figure out how to do it. I read on the forums that you can edit the menu by accessing applications:/// in nautilus, but when I try that, I get an error saying "applications:///" is not a valid location". I found some other posts saying that you can edit the menu directly by right-clicking on it and then adding a launcher. However, when I right-click, I don't see any options for adding a custom launcher.

There must be an easy way to do this, but it seems like I just can't figure it out.

Thanks for the help.
crudh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNOME 2.10 didn't have a feature for editing the menus since it adopted the new freedesktop.org standard and they didn't have time to enable menu editing. But you could install a menu editor like SMEG that conforms to the standard and can edit all menus from different DE:s/WM:s that use the standard. There are other editors too, check out gnomefiles.org.

GNOME 2.12 has a simple menu editor if you right click on the "Applications" panel text. But it can only disable stuff from the menu. Hopefully it will advance until GNOME 2.14.

Otherwise you have to create a file in /usr/share/applications. All the menu items have files there so you could look at them for help.
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's surprising. The menu's cannot be edited without using a hack. What are the Gnome devs thinking?

Thanks anyways for clarifying this point.
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crudh wrote:
GNOME 2.12 has a simple menu editor if you right click on the "Applications" panel text. But it can only disable stuff from the menu. Hopefully it will advance until GNOME 2.14.

I have gnome 2.12 installed ( ~x86 ) but no menu editor ?
crudh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have gnome 2.12 installed ( ~x86 ) but no menu editor ?

Are you sure you right clicked on the "Applications" panel text and not in the menu itself?
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I clicked everywhere, including the textbutton "application" - no menu editor bin in gnome-panel. Could someone tell me the name of the binary and to which package it belongs ?

( euqery b binaryname_with_path )

And has anybody using gentoo's ~x86 GNOME a menueditor - or is it only part of steev's / bmg's overlay ?
crudh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using GNOME 2.12 from Gentoo ~x86, no overlay, and I have the menu editor. I don't know the name of the binary. Will check when I get home, if I remember :)
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be nice. Thanks. I checked the configure output of gnome-panel, but no menu-editor mentioned. Thus I don't know to which package it belongs - otherwise I could check the respictive build log.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: