View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dylock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Some newbie help Reply with quote

Well I just recently made the change to gentoo linux. and ive been having some questions and problems about Gnome on gentoo.
I did the emerge for gnome and it will bring up a default screen for logging in. I can log in fine with no error and have successfully gotten xchat and firefox working.
So now some questions. What are the utilities for editing gnome. Mine seems rather simple as to what I see other installs looking like. People talk about an application menu of some sort. All I have on mine is a tiny box with Client List, Checkpoint, Session Log and Shutdown, and also a command window. When i left click it will bring up a menu titled Twm. I also have gdm installed and seem to have problems with the configuration of it(gdmconfig). It doesn't seem to save the graphical greeting i set it to, always goes back to the default right out of install one.

Another thing I wasn't sure about was the user/login system for gnome. After a while it will log me out. I left something to emerge while I was at work and it will take me to the login screen. Is there a way to configure this?

Finally, I don't understand sessions. If i am to log out and log back in it will show a session I can load. When I do it bring up that 4 option menu but no command window, and I cant access the left click menu.

So i guess in summary, Im lost :D If you have any advice for me as I take this head first dive I would appreceate it.
Peace,
Dylock
Dylock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i keep reading about this X server, is that something i should install along with gnome?

edit: nm i noticed i already have X11

i must be missing something obvious.
Dylock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might just uninstall gnome and reinstall, perhaps i missed something in the install to where i dont have thesse default things
user118696
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may use fluxbox too :D
Dylock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i might, i did manage to find the gnome file browser, so i can view files and have a window called desktop
still no word on this application menu
Dylock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah i think i overcame my hurdle, i found how to get the toolbars. Now I just need to decide on a windows manager, i was thinking of enlightenment but are there any more suggestions?
user118696
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluxbox
Dylock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm is it possible to have both fluxbox and gnome installed, or will they caus conflicts. only have 1 boot up of corse
user118696
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's possible (not sure though :? ) but i remember seeing something like this. As Fluxbox is simply a WM, it may be incorporated into a Desktop Environment such as Gnome... but then, i'm not 100% sure.
Dylock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhh i thought fluxbox was a whole other environment like gnome, so its a windows manager.. hmm
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: