Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Online band practice! Any way to fix the delay?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seedb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Online band practice! Any way to fix the delay? Reply with quote

Right, I think the easiest way to explain what I'm stuck with is to describe the whole situation.

Me and my band are trying to have an "online band practice" with an MSN Audio Conversation with microphones.
We tried it, completely forgetting about the delay factor. There is about half a second delay which makes it virtually impossible to practice as the instruments are all out of time.

Is there any way at all that we could fix this?

Thanks.
opqdan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this isn't open source or Linux related in any way, I have a feeling this will get tossed to "off the wall" (or worse). This being your first post makes me assume that you don't actually know why this forum is here but just randomly came accros it through google or something.

Anyways...

I would suggest switching to an open source alternative, and perhaps paying for broadband internet (I'm sure you'll still have some lag though).
jk3us
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about a setup a while back that accomplished this. It basically consisted of very high badnwidth dedicated network connections. Peter Jackson used something like that for participating in the recording of the score for the TLOTR trilogy. He was in the US and watched/listened/gave feedback to the orchestra in New Zealand. Pretty sure he spent a lot of money for that :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: