Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XFS doesnt seem to be checked at boot.. (!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: XFS doesnt seem to be checked at boot.. (!) Reply with quote

Hi.

My / is a XFS fs (no acl, quotas, etc). Last time i rebooted i saw that the point "checking root fs"(or similar) was very short. So i started the universal install disk, and ran xfs_check, which found some (smaller) errors. Is there anything i have to take care of to get my / checked every boot ?

Thank you all :)

brot

edit: fsck and fsck.xfs doesnt seem to do anything, too...
widan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: XFS doesnt seem to be checked at boot.. (!) Reply with quote

brot wrote:
fsck and fsck.xfs doesnt seem to do anything, too...

It really does nothing... From the fsck.xfs man page:
Quote:
fsck.xfs is called by the generic Linux fsck program at startup to check and repair an XFS filesystem. XFS is a journaling filesystem and performs recovery at mount time if necessary, so fsck.xfs simply exits with a zero exit status.

If you wish to check check the consistency of an XFS filesystem, or repair a damaged or corrupt XFS filesystem, see xfs_check and xfs_repair.

Which does not mean that XFS filesystems can't get corrupted :(. And xfs_check does not take the same arguments as fsck, so you can't just symlink it :(.
brot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. Ok, that is really a thing which should be said in the gentoo installation manual. I mean, your data gets more and more corrupted and you dont get an advice to run xfs_check or something.

This is really hard.
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't like XFS, your experience may differ but I've only had trouble with XFS. I've recently begun using Reiser4 and it works like a dream. My laptop has lost power abruptly 5-6 times and I didn't notice anything wrong with my system/filesystem afterwards. Still running strong.

In short, change to Reiser4! Maybe not the feedback you wanted, but I just wanted to speak up about my new favourite filesystem. :)
widan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eonic wrote:
My laptop has lost power abruptly 5-6 times and I didn't notice anything wrong with my system/filesystem afterwards.

Usually there won't be any problems. Corruption is possible, but not frequent. Journaled filesystems are in theory immune to metadata corruption. In practice, that only holds true if the filesystem is using write barriers (that ensures the log is actually written to the media before the actual metadata changes) and the disk honors those barriers (and doesn't try to keep things before the barrier in cache). And barrier support is still problematic, at least for IDE (some IDE drives say they support cache flush, even though the command is actually a no-op).

Some info on this here and here.
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links, I sort of know a little about journaling. But, when I used XFS a couple of years ago and lost power only once, it caused corruption so badly that I needed to reformat. Not to say that XFS might have improved since then. My bad experience back then could also have been a one-time fluke.

However, Ext3 and Reiserfs on the same harddrive and system did not have that huge corruption on powerloss. Different reactions with different filesystems made me think it was the filesystems fault, hardware features would not really matter since I tested this on the same hardware.
brot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

no, it hasnt improved jet. i ran xfs repair, and i had a lost+found of about 10 mb, and thats not acceptable, imo. I want to change my fs, but before i do that i want to know if my steps are enough..

i wanted to do it like this:

1. booting from the universal live cd.
2. cp /mnt/oldroot /mnt/usbharddrive -a
3. format my oldroot with something _not_ xfs (but something thats compiled in the kernel, not as module)
4. cp /mnt/usbharddrive /mnt/newroot -a
(5. pray)

thank you all...

(reading http://fsbench.netnation.com/ to decide which fs i should choose ;) )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: