Backup mail server project
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nife
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Backup mail server project Reply with quote

I am thinking about trying to create a project so that gentoo users can help other gentoo users. Basically I get a decent ammount of personal traffic to my mailserver that I don't want to loose when I am forced to reboot into windows(yeah it has to happen for classes sometimes)

What I want is to create a network of backup mail servers that are all community run that bacuk each other. That way they are very redundant and can provide fully reliable mail backup servers. So basiaclly it would go something like this. People would register online and then get a list of a couple other servers that will be their backups.

At first each admin will get an e-mail telling them what domain names they should accept incomming messages for. Then they would have to add these manually. Ultimately I would like to have it all automated where they conf file for all the different smtp server can be updated, but that's a big job. Also I would like to have uptime stats and all that so that noboy gets stuck with backup servers that are always down.

So what do people think about the idea. Are there enough users that run mailservers that this is workable? would people be willing to trust other users servers to relay mail to them ? What security measures can be put in place ?

ps: Mods I wan't quite sure where to put this so feel free to move it.

Last edited by nife on Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruegi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup mail server project ??? Reply with quote

nife wrote:
What security measures can be put in place?

That may not be a very wise idea. SMTP is a Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. Even with an SSL or TLS layer added to it there are still cleartext messages stored on the servers. Or in other words: The root of the backup server can read all mail going through it. Some people will say:"Use GPG / PGP / S/Mime!". But that's also no solution. You can't enforce that all other people sending mail to you will use it.

An other question: What should it give to you? The remote mail server will queue the message if your mailserver is not up and try to deliver it again periodicly for some days. As the backup server will.

Thomas
nife
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup mail server project ??? Reply with quote

Kruegi wrote:
nife wrote:
What security measures can be put in place?

That may not be a very wise idea. SMTP is a Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. Even with an SSL or TLS layer added to it there are still cleartext messages stored on the servers. Or in other words: The root of the backup server can read all mail going through it. Some people will say:"Use GPG / PGP / S/Mime!". But that's also no solution. You can't enforce that all other people sending mail to you will use it.

An other question: What should it give to you? The remote mail server will queue the message if your mailserver is not up and try to deliver it again periodicly for some days. As the backup server will.

Thomas

Yeah I understood that but I still would trust some gentoo users more then a company(which is the other option). Though overall it looks like there isn't much interest in the project so I may junk the idea for now.... oh welll
nife
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well is there a free mx backup service that anyone knows about ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: