Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Make xorg NOT share the mouse over multiple monitors.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Make xorg NOT share the mouse over multiple monitors. Reply with quote

I have configured my computer (xorg 6.8.99.16 and a nvidia 5600 board running ~x86) to use one monitor and one TV as two diffrent screens and desktops (no twinview or alike).
My intensions was to be able to watch DVDs on the TV instead of the monitor. since it got my only DVD-player

Everything works perfect currently except for one thing:
The mousesharing.

xorg ALWAYS shares the mouse between the two monitors and is giving me problems when I use X for regular work like every time the mouse comes to the right edge it "falls over" to the other screen, VERY annoying when you for example are scrolling using a scrollbar and a lot of other things.
And since the TV is not always showing stuff from my computer there is no need to have the pointer there about 90 percent of the time.

Now my question is:
Is there any way to make the mousepointer stay on one screen and maybe (not necessary) only "fall over" when you for example press a button-combination?
Or is there a better way to show DVDs from the computer on a TV with xorg/GNOME and nvidia dualhead without problems like these?
wally.hall
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: There's probably a way! Reply with quote

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors, that's a good place to look.

If it were I, I'd try putting the other monitor above the main one and to the left a bit (that's all explained in that HOWTO), so the mouse has a smaller bit to jump across, also you could try not using the TwinView and fire up your DVD player to appear on the other screen (I don't know how to do this offhand and I'm about to go out, so I'll post some stuff up tonight for you), so when you want to play a DVD, you can fire up that program on the other screen on its own (or use a separate keyboard and mouse and have a lightweight WM running on it separately, which would work well.

Hope it helps,

wally

p.s feel free to E-Mail me or use IM if you want any help or just a chat!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: