View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzzyva100
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Konqueror has problems with "trash" Reply with quote

So after a clean install, I thought I had everything set properly, only to discover that I have some rather bad permissions problems.

If I try to delete anything other either of my media storage partitions from konqueror, I get the error saying "creating folders is not supported with protocol trash". I can, however delete the folders if I first copy them to my desktop or from root in the konsole.

The partitions are fat32, and were used during my previous install. The permissions worked then, and should be the same since I just reinstalled what I had before. I have also noticed that in bit torrent, I can't save to either of those partitions properly. It will create the folders and start the first file, and then I get an error saying the file cannot be allocated.

I even tried moving everything off one of the partitions, reformating it and then moving stuff back, and nothing. I even tried first moving it to my desktop, where I could delete it, and then moving it from there to the new partition. Still couldn't delete the folder. I had even deleted the mount point and created it anew.

Here is the relevant part of my fstab, although it was the same before and it worked then:
Code:

/dev/sda4               /mnt/storage1   vfat            users,owner,rw,umask=000   0 0
/dev/sdb2               /mnt/storage2   vfat            users,owner,rw,umask=000   0 0

I am using hal and dbus to automount, and when I view the permissions on the drives the ownership is listed as user: root, groups: root.

Is there any way to fix the ownership of these drives so that I can access them properly again?

Last edited by Zyzzyva100 on Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zyzzyva100
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just tried chown -R directory myusername and got an error saying that the operation was not permitted. I did this from su - at the konsole.

Edit: I even just tried going into KDE as root, removing the mount point folder, remaking it, and changing the owner to my account and users. The ownership change worked, as I am still the owner when in my account, but I still can't delete folders off of it.

This is a really strange problem, has anyone else ever had this problem?
Zyzzyva100
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas? I am wondering if I am in the wrong sub-forum here, but this only happens in the gui. From command line its not an issue. (And it happens from the gui when logged in as root, too).

Maybe I will try making one of the partitions reiserfs or ext2 and see what happens.
Zyzzyva100
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't figure out the trash problem, but it deffinitely lies in Konqueror. I forgot about the shift-delete option, which does work, and I suppose I can always use krusader, which doesn't sent to the trash. Its a bit of an annoyance, but there could be worse things.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: