Help mac mini
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HunterD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Help mac mini Reply with quote

in the next days i'm planning to install gentoo on my mac mini, can i resize my mac partition ?? or is better to install gentoo from scratch ? any advice on configuration or guide in internet are welcome :D

Ps. How much time tooks a complete stage 1 installation on the 1.42 ghz ??
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed Gentoo on a mac mini this weekend. I used this guide for tips on using the (buggy) MacOSX partitioning utility and, of course, the 2005.1 Gentoo Handbook.

You can not resize your mac partition AFAIK. Just wipe the whole partition and make a new, smaller one and leave the rest as free space. Then use mac-fdisk on the install cd to complete the partitioning for linux. I did stage 3 then synced, rebuilt the toolchain and system and then started installing stuff. I don't know exactly how long it took (it was done when I got up) but glibc took an hour, gcc 40 minutes and binutils 7 minutes.

Aside from a couple of small issues with specific kernel options and configuring xorg and yaboot (all of which I found answers to in this forum) it went exceptionally smoothly.
bschrock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: I just finished mine the other day. Reply with quote

For the most part it went smooth.

Bluetooth keyboard
Logitech mediaplay Mouse
NEC 1100

Booting the 2005.1 went smoothly no problems.

Make sure you do NOT do an emerge KDE. Instead use emerge kde-meta. I had all kinds of problems with arts and kde packages becuase I installed the monolithic KDE packages.

I used Xorgautoconfig and tweaked it from there, still do not have a few things working...

Wi-FI - I hear we will never be able to get this to work. Thanks BROADCOMM!
Bluetooth - It "works" but I do not have a clue as to how it works. In other words Linux has NOTHING to do with the Bluetooth working AFAIK
Mediplay mouse driver - Acts very squirrly

Annoyances -

Whenever I exit from kdm or try to restart the Xserver it all just hangs, my screen goes Black and makes a very strange noise. I can still ssh in, and I can still type commands at the console VTs (but I just can't see anything).

Total install time for me was about 3 days, the actual base install took me only a few hours and I started from Minimal boot CD.
bschrock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Bluetooth on the mac-mini Reply with quote

The key to getting bluetooth working on the mac-mini is hid2hci utility. You can also set it in one of the config file in /etc/bluetooth.

As soon as I ran that I could do all the usual stuff with bluetooth.

Brian,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: