Backup strategy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Backup strategy Reply with quote

Folks,

Now that I've got my Gentoo system more or less how I want it, I probably ought to think about backing it up (or face a 3-week configuration nightmare if I screw something up...)

What is the minimum I need to backup in order to return my system to its current state? I'm don't want to backup anything that can be rebuilt by scripts - so I need to backup a log of what ebuilds I've got installed, but not the actual installed packages themselves. (I've not installed anything that didn't use portage so far.) Of course I want to backup all of my configuration data, and all of my user data.

The following springs to mind:

/home/
/root/
/etc/
/usr/src/linux/.config
/boot/grub/menu.lst
/opt/OpenOffice-641d/share/fonts (because I changed it to a symlink to my X11 fonts directory)
/usr/share/ghostscript/6.53/lib/Fontmap.GS

What else? In particular, where is the record of the ebuilds I've installed? Can I get this in the form of a script I can give portage for a full unattended rebuild? What about the record of actions like rc-update, java-config and update-env? Will restoring /etc/ cover this, or are there any files squirrelled away elsewhere that need to be in a consistent state?

Thanks

Ian
id10t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/usr/portage and /usr/portage/distfiles - preferrably separate, although if you have space, all together is OK too... this way, you can rebuild everything with your same portage tree wihtout re-downloading.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Can't all of that be recovered without a backup? Reply with quote

If I'm not mistake, the portage tree in /usr/portage can be restored with emerge rsync. If so, I can get it back without having to back it up myself. I don't care about long downloads (or long build times).

I didn't explicitly mention it in my original message, but one essential factor is that the entire backup has to fit on a single CD, so on a scale of long restore time (0) to large backup (10), I'm looking at a solution right at the zero end. On the other hand, I want to minimise the amount of manual reconfiguration I have to do after the restore, and ensure as far as reasonably possible that there's no setting hidden somewhere that I forget to restore.
BinaryAlchemy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Ebuilds Reply with quote

Your installed ebuild list is in /var/db/pkg/
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup strategy Reply with quote

iangoldby wrote:
Folks,

Now that I've got my Gentoo system more or less how I want it, I probably ought to think about backing it up (or face a 3-week configuration nightmare if I screw something up...)

Well, I'm going to go another route here and recommend using a script called mkcdrec.
it's located at http://mkcdrec.ota.be and worked great for me. I installed my system, even had packages installed and pretty much everything I needed to be fully rockin' and rollin and I still fit on ONE cdrom. (Note: It uses bz2 compression, so it doesn't waste space at all)

It even makes the cdrom bootable via el-torito. Ahh, just for clarity I'll quote from the site:
Code:

MkCDrec supports  ext2 , ext3, minix, xfs , jfs, reiserfs  file systems, LVM and software RAID (multiple devices). Each file system is backup'ed as a compressed tar archive (including the tar log).  The compress program used is the user's choice (compress, gzip, bzip2, lzop,...) :-)
But there is more: msdos, fat, vfat mounted partitions are recognized and are saved as compressed dumps (on CD, tape, etc.)
The user has the possibility to encrypt all backups with openssl if desired (see the Config.sh configuration file for more information).

--
Dan
Wilhelm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working on backupping myself (or at least making snapshots) to my logging and backup server.

Can't you just backup /var/cache/edb/world and use that as your package list instead of the (in my case) 30Mb /var/db/pkg?
This saves 30Mb of space and should enable you to rebuild the whole system as follows.

bootstrap your system
emerge sync
emerge system
emerge `cat world` <-- not sure if it will work ( it should ;) )

Could someone comment on this idea and tell me it's a good idea or am i one step away from borking everything :twisted: ?

EDIT: After checking a bit and unmerging stuff i found the world file to be an accurate representation of all apps emerged.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: