View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navier-stokes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: gnome on gentoo is way behind gnome on fedora Reply with quote

The gnome desktop I just emerged just doesn't have anything to do with the gnome supplied with FC4...

The desktop tools just seems a lot more complete on fedora core.

I just tried gnome 2.10.0 and 2.12.0. The menu editor in 2.12.0 is just useless. I mean -i need bash to configure my GUI menus, that is just nonsense.

Where is the Fedora NetworkManager? It s probably one of the most usefull apps in gnome and its gone (or whas it never there?)!!

Its a hassle to configure shortcut in menus, and no gui tool to switch networks quickly - In other words I have to go back to bash too much to find this desktop environment useful.

Oh well at least they left gcalc in! *grin*
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where is the Fedora NetworkManager
My guess would be that it is in the Fedora Linux distribution.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
navier-stokes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheap answer.
GhePeU
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: gnome on gentoo is way behind gnome on fedora Reply with quote

navier-stokes wrote:
The gnome desktop I just emerged just doesn't have anything to do with the gnome supplied with FC4...

I just tried gnome 2.10.0 and 2.12.0. The menu editor in 2.12.0 is just useless. I mean -i need bash to configure my GUI menus, that is just nonsense.

Where is the Fedora NetworkManager? It s probably one of the most usefull apps in gnome and its gone (or whas it never there?)!!

Its a hassle to configure shortcut in menus, and no gui tool to switch networks quickly - In other words I have to go back to bash too much to find this desktop environment useful.

gentoo's gnome is plain gnome, as it is released by gnome foundation in www.gnome.org

fedora adds more software, made by fedora hackers for fedora environment (I'm not sure that their networkmanager could be compatible with gentoo's network infrastructure)
you can still emerge some of this third-party software, for example smeg (simple menu editor for gnome) is in portage
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so there are some differences. But, for me, one way in which Gentoo Gnome betters FC Gnome is its speed. On FC4 Gnome felt like it had treacle poured into it. On Gentoo, it's just so much quicker. Granted, this will depend on your system & configuration, but the difference for me was really eye-opening.

Could you not try installing the Fedora network thing on Gentoo if you really miss it (I've no idea whether it would work in Gentoo)? rpm is in portage, after all...
djnauk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: gnome on gentoo is way behind gnome on fedora Reply with quote

navier-stokes wrote:

Alot of the 'extra' tools within FC Gnome are written by RedHat/Fedora specifially for gnome and their systems. NetworkManager is one example, although there has been alot of work (mainly through the 0.4.x) release to get it more compatable with other systems, including Gentoo. However, it still has a long way to go :(

There are ebuilds for it out there, but YMMV.

UK Hosting & Reseller Hosting from JAB Web Solutions
tchak
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use juste in this moment NntworkManager on gentoo... It works very well :)

And it is realy anoing thes threads about gentoo have not this, gentoo have not that. The point of gentoo is not the same then fedora or ubuntu. Gentoo it is about breking :) If you agree : http://gentoo.zugaina.org/. You have alle the major overlays for gentoo on this site. Juste install them and happy breking :)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.- The main interest of Gentoo is not necesarilly breaking it. It is possible to use it that way just for fun and to experiment, but Gentoo can be as stable as its administrator wants it to be.

2.- All linux applications can be installed in all distros. If you dont know how to do it dont blame a distro for that. After all, if we wanted a big huge desktop like the fedora and mandriva and a fancy installer we would not be using Gentoo.

3.- The point in Gentoo is that installing gnome, or kde, or whatever you want to install does not mean to install ALL gnome applications. You install gnome, and, if you need something else, then you install it separatelly.
tom56
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: meta distribution.

Gentoo is merely a way of installing lots of different applications (and services, etc), as they were released upstream. As with most things, if you want it changed, you need to go bug the folks upstream (in this case Gnome). The answer in this case is to either:

a) Install Fedora's Network Manager (I don't know if there is an ebuild or not) and a menu editor.
b) Get Gnome to make their own versions of the above and include them by default.
snakeroot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Smeg is a very good gnome menu editor.

2) The gentopia overlay* has the same NetworkManager as Fedora. The primary gentopia site (gentopia.gentooexperimental.org) appears to be down again, but I believe that there are mirrors. I've never used it, so caveat emergor.

Regards,

* The gentopians are an elite commando squad dedicated to making your system Just Work by breaking their own. You've been warned.
taurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: gnome on gentoo is way behind gnome on fedora Reply with quote

navier-stokes wrote:

And why you are at it, why don't you whine about KDE in SuSE and KDE in Gentoo... I like my Gentoo just fine the way it is and who cares about all those bells and whistles. They make the system slow like hell!!! :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: